Thursday, May 24, 2012

5-24-2012 DB Dailies: Ewa Girl&Buster@HB, Kolohe@SC, Nani@RI, Benny@PC, Kerby@Maili Pt, R5AY@Kualoa


On my first look at Hanauma Bay, at 0608, from the overview, I found an animal on the left side rock flats. When I got down there I found Ewa Girl (RS00). She owns the property there, and for years, was a regular at that location. The last year or so, she has been much less evident in the SE quadrant. This is her first visit to HB since and overnighter on 11-13/14-2011. She remained all day. More in a bit.

At 0952 I found Kolohe (RW08) doing 6 minute dives at Spitting Cave. He would disappear around the point around 1017. I did not see him again today.

At 1140 I found Nani (RK60) on the incline, 100 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. She would have the place all to herself again today. Nani turns 1 year old today !

Having Ewa Girl back was, I thought, the highlight of the day. Nope....

At around 1330 I called Hanauma Bay just to see if anyone had done a Toilet Bowl check. If not I planned to go. I was advised the HB posse member "Jack at the Bay" was going down. For some reason I elected to let Jack do it, instead of going , and call me if he found anything. OMG !!!!! At 1358 Jack calls to say that there was a swimming animal in the Toilet Bowl inlet, larger than Kaiwi, and with no transmitter. I advised that I was on my way. A couple of minutes later, another Jack call. The animal had swum into the underwater channel and INTO the Toilet Bowl, bowl, then after 5-6 attempts, flushed up out of the Toilet Bowl, and onto the surrounding rock flats. He confirmed the "N21", (Buster /RV08). "I'm on my way...I'm on my way ". A coupla' minutes later (just as I'm arriving at the HB parking lot, Jack called to advise that Buster had reentered the Toilet Bowl, and disappeared. Bummmmmmmmmer !!!!!!

Jack was in awe of having seen an animal do that. I know the feeling well, having watched Irma do the same thing a few years ago.

Since I was at Hanauma Bay I decided to go over to the overview and check on Ewa Girl. When I looked over the edge OMG !!! there were TWO seals on the flats!!

When Jack and I got down there, lo and behold there was Buster (RV08) along side Ewa Girl. For those of you not paying attention , or new to the game, Buster is Ewa Girl's 7 year old son. Her first documented Oahu child, born on Rabbit Island in 2005 (and my 3rd born son). According to my records this is Buster's first ever documented visit to either Toilet Bowl and Hanauma Bay.
Jack called as Hanuama Bay was closing to advise that both were still there. Tomrrow ?????????

At 0735 Team Billand checked in with the report of Benny (RE74) at Paradise Cove. Dana and Vera did PC duty today. Benny departed at 1500 with the rising tide.

At 1010 the Billands reported Kerby (RW08) all alone at Maili Point. He was gone on the Billand's 1521 check.

Dana advised of a Kualoa animal this morning, and reported in again at 1555 to advise that it was R5AY. Diane "Diga" Gabriel confirmed that she had been on duty at the R5AY site. Diga photos are on the way.

 Ewa Girl @ Hanauma Bay 
 My guess Big Momma Ewa Girl is ready to pop... question is, will she go back to rabbit island? -OR- is she on her way to reef runway?   
 A Mom and her son - we love that DB gives us all the facts
 Mom you got to move up 
 Nice peaceful place to rest 
 Kolohe tail in the air 
 Nani at Rabbit Island
 Happy Birthday Nani 
 R5AY along road side. I HATE when they haul out along this stretch. Every time I drive this stretch of road I also check to see... they're just inches away from the road.
 Another Big Momma... the pups are coming
 Benny @ Paradise Cove
 Bad boy Benny unaware of the paradise cove crowds
 Not a flattering positon Benny
 Kerby... who goes there
 I see you....

No comments: