Friday, May 18, 2012

5-18-2012 DB Dailies: Nani@MP&RI, Duke&M38@RI, Irma@KK, Benny@Maili Pt


On my first quick look at Rabbit Island, from Makai Pier, I lucked out and found Nani (RK60) foraging on the Makapuu side of the pier, as I was leaving. Over the following 45 minutes I observed her devouring a tako, and eating at least 4 other prey items, which I could not determine. I lot track of her at 0730.

Posse member Gayle called at 0854 with the report of an animal at Irma's Grotto, Kokee Flats, Portlock. When I arrived at 0909 I found Irma snoozin' in a tide pool.Gayle and Teri reported Irma doing 11 minute dives at Spitting Cave, at 1823.
On my 1000 recheck of Rabbit Island I found what would prove to be M38, behind the water front rocks mid way between Seal Rock Inlet and Rocky Right Beach on RI. It would be 1340 before I finally got an ID, after seeing his left side natural bleach. His last RI visit was on 5-14-12.

Finding Nani at the pier has to be the highlight of the day, but right up there with that ,the arrival of Duke (RA12)back on Rabbit Island at 1043, was quite a find. He has been documented of late on Molokai and Maui. Today he came back home for a visit. His last Rabbit Island sighting was on 3-27-12.
On my 1320 recheck of Rabbit Island I found that in addition to Duke and M38, Nani had arrived back at RI after her morning foraging episode.

Despite lotsa' lookin' by myself and the Elves, today ended as a no Kaiwi day. Tomorrow ???

Team Billand checked in at 1023 with the report of Benny (RE74) at Maili Point. Surprisingly enough that would be their only find.

A late in the day call from Tracy brought news that my boy Ka'ena (RO40) was reported on N. Larsen's Beach, on Kauai today. He may well have made the Kauai run many times, but because he is sparingly seen at Ka'ena Point, and not recorded on Kauai, we shall never know. His last documented Kauai visit came on 2-11-11.

Nani chowing down... some good tako
 Some good eating around the pier
 Big Momma Irma @ Kokee Flats
 Wonder what Big Momma's plans are for this pup's birth
 Duke'ster back on Rabbit Island 
 M38
 Little Nani resting after a big meal 
 Benny alone at Maili
 Looking around checking to see if there's anyone there
 Found a good snoozing spot 
 Awwww 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It may sound nuts, but I had an empty nest sydrome...no Kerby and Noa yesterday, just the BENNY. And he seemed so cautious hauling in, looking around for the other two kids...NOa and Kerby. He took a long time to come in and he never hauled up on their spots, just layed low in the shallows. BUT...he did enter his Playboy Pond to cool off and snooze. It was sweet, yet, kind of sad not to see the boys around at all. I never saw them, nor heard em, now even a smell.
Noa and Kerby have taught me alot these last few weeks...they are full of discovery of this area, got so much foraging done daily together. They shared the space with other seals, Benny, R018, Rip, M and M, and I forget who else. Been a fantastic scene daily, so, I feel lost now. But Benny, always gives a good show, saw the softer side of him yesterday...he seemed relaxed, yet cautious, always checked his back.
I hope Kerby and Noa stick together for ever, as best buds, looking out for each other. If they go back to Kaena Pt...thats fine. I wonder if they joined Kaena R040??? Then they will be gone for a long time, checking out the chicks for the first time...

Well, some times in life, you got to cut the umbilical cord, take a breath and let them explore on their own...I dont want to cut the cords...I love them with my soul.

Safe journey boys...hugs...B