Friday, May 4, 2012

5-3-2012 DB's Dailies:


On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0628 I found Kaiwi (RK96) right where I'd left her yesterday, at Rocky Right Beach, at the right end of the island. No doubt she had overnighted.

A few minutes later I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) on the left end rock flats.
At 1121 Kolohe would enter the water, and at 1134 he hauled out to join Kaiwi. They spent about 15 minutes together. Kaiwi wasn't quite into playing and after a while Kolohe got the hint and returned to the water at 1149. I did not see him again today. Kaiwi went back to snooze mode. Since Kaiwi was on a solid rock surface, there was no NOAA response.
Team Billand checked in at 0814 with word of Makaiwi (R4DF) at the east end fence line at White Plains.
At 0952 the Billands reported Benny (RE74) and Kerby (RW22) on the rocks at Maili Point.

At 1012 they reported that Noa (R6FI) hauled out to join the other two.

At 1145 the Billands found R2AW at Electric Beach.

Diga called at 1218 to advise that posse member Azlina Harun had reported RI37 behind her home in Laie, at 1135. This location is obviously her favorite Laie location. Azlina commented on how chunky the girl was lookin'.

In the Yesterday's News department, photos were received of T21M at Kawela Bay yesterday. Thanks to Capt Scott of ShakaKayaks.

At 1612 Team Billand found Rocky (RH58) at Iroquois Point.

Lastly, a brief note on Birthdays... Several days ago the Donna mentioned in a red letter comment, something about "where is Kerby's cake?" That prompted me to check my Yahoo Events Calendar which is suppose to tell me when birthdays come up. Sadly, I found that the "New & Improved" version of Yahoo that was crammed down our throats a while back, no longer reminds us. It's just one of OOhhhh so many short comings of the New & Improved Yahoo. Consequently, I've gone to the old school method of keeping track, with a list of birthdays right at eye level above my computer screen. It shant happen again ! So... what have you missed ? On 4-10, Sadie (RB12) became a woman, turning 5 years old. On 4-20 Kerby (RW08) celebrated his 4th birthday. I'm happy to announce that my first born, RIP (RR70) is 9 years old today !!! They grow up soooooo fast !!

 Kaiwi and Kolohe 
 Amazing the size difference... Kolohe all grown up
 Benny on the move
 Kerby
 Noa and Benny
 Noa and Benny blabbing as usual
 Noa, Kerby and Benny
 Noa (silly seal pose), Kerby and Benny
  2AW @ electric beach
 Maka'iwi @ white plains
 Rocky @ Iroquois
 RI37 @ Laie
 T21 @ Kawela 

2 comments:

Diga said...

Poor Noa and Kerby. My take on it is that they are taking a vacation from Ka'ena who is always pestering them and now they have to deal with Benny. Diane

Anonymous said...

Been observing THE BENNY with Noa and Kerby since March. I been seeing clearly that Benny is the Alpha Seal here. BUT, he also takes good care of both seals, AFTER, he gets HIS spot, its pure snores for all. Quite interesting stuff goes on while I just sit on the rocks checking every move, every eye contact between Kerby and Benny...they have a neat bond, inspite of the little spats that goes on. Its not long out drastic fights..just HEY, I am the boss, so get out of my way, I need my watering hole to sleep. And Kerby will stand up to Benny, but, in the end, Benny gets that hole. Kerby will respect his wishes and moves over to the right in HIS hole. Some times all three are like sausage links, lined up on the rocks..in peace.

Noa doesnt have to stand up to Benny, as Benny is like a big older brother looking out for him. They spend time together, side by side..so dam cute.

When RIp and Benny get togetherm, then thats a different story..two bulls...but Benny still gets HIS HOLE. Rip gets it and sucumbs to Benny's mouth wide opened, finds his own spot near by.

Same as humans, there is a leader, a follower, then there are those that just go for the ride. I love this job..so much to learn from these awesome critters, THE HAWAIIAN MONK SEALS OF HAWAII.