Saturday, May 12, 2012

5-12-2012 DB's Dailies:


Just as I looked down from the overview at Hanauma Bay,at 0616 , at the large critter lolling in the shallows, HB posse member Ann called to report the same. I got the Irma (R010) ID quickly, but she would take her sweet time deciding to finally haul out to the beach at 0652. I cordoned her off and she has remained all day. Irma departed at 1727.

Despite a lot of lookin' by the elves and I, it would be 1143 before another critter surfaced. Posse member Kathy called at 1143 to report Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave. I got there just in time to watch Kaiwi swimming around the point headed east.
At 1209 I found another animal at Spitting Cave, It would prove to be Kolohe (RW22). He was doing 3 to 6 minute dives. At one point I thought I saw something in his mouth, but the afternoon glare was impossible.

When I viewed the photos , sure enough, he had an eel in his mouth. Kolohe would also move around the point at 1301.
Team Billand checked in at 0642 with the report of Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point.

At 842 they reported that Noa (R6FI) had joined Kerby at Maili Point. John Brown of the BBC spent the day with Team Billand.

Missus Whisperer (Marilyn) did the Ka'ena Point trek again today, and reported Ka'ena (RO40), alone at the end of the world.

Diga (Diane Gabriel) called at 1521 with the report of KC (RK28) across the road from Kualoa Ranch, lolling in the shallows for some hours. She departed at 1530.

 Big Momma Irma @ Hanauma Bay
 Interesting sign... conceptually I think it's great, although the flower Irma is wearing doesn't seem appropriate. If the intent of the sign is to educate the public, which is what we are suppose to be doing, we shouldn't "humanize" them.  The last thing we want to do is give someone the idea they should place a flower on a seal.  I would be happy to talk about some of the "guidelines" in use to promote awareness.  
 Kaiwi @ spitting cave 
 Kolohe @ spitting cave
 Ka'ena at Ka'ena Point 
 Ka'ena has the place to himself, since the rest of the gang is at Maili Point
 KC (RK28) lolling along the shore line at Kualoa Point
 Seems she departed after a tour bus stopped and allowed the passengers a photo opt. KC was being camera shy and swam away.... (smart seal)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there any research that shows placing a flower is humanizing and may cause people to want to put a flower on it?

The sign does not encourage anyone at all to get close to the animal and even less to place any flowers, as can be read.
If we're taking about humanizing animals, maybe it should also be considered the fact they have human names. Something that people at the beach do seem to be surprised of.

Donna said...

No research that I know of... I apologize if I offended you. I am just trying to make sure we are consistent with our messaging.

Could you email please, so I know who I am talking to? Thank you.