Wednesday, December 29, 2010

12/29/2010 DB Dailies

At 0805, from Makai Pier, I found M38 just hauling out, 100 ft right of 3BS on Rabbit Island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1000 I found that M38 had been joined by Sadie and Kolohe. On a pan at 1026 I became aware that there was a critter amongst the water front rocks fronting 3BS. It would prove to be Duke. I'd missed him on previous pans. From Kaupo Beach Park at 1346 I found that RIP had joined M38, Kolohe and Sadie at the right end of the beach.

I did several checks of Kaupo Beach Park, and joined Dera , Chad & Sean for a few more, in hopes of doing a tagging mission on Makana. Alas..... nobody told Makana. We found nobody.

Team Billand reported Kermit fronting #1706 at White Plains at 0713. At 1065 they found Benny and RO28 at Maili Point.

Responding to a Dera call, they found Irma at Oneula Place, Ewa Beach at 1656.

Colleen called at 1642 to ask if I was aware of an animal at Magic Island. I was completely unaware, of the haul out, and since I'd been with Dera, I'm pretty sure she didn't know anything about it either. Colleen just happened to be there on a family outing and made the discovery. Colleen would confirm the Rocky ID at 1703. She was in her usual trough location, and the lifeguards had taped her off. Thank You Colleen !!!

As a side note, the Billands had reported an animal swimming by WP yesterday, town bound. They subsequently checked IRQ and EB but found nothing. We joked about Rocky heading for town. It looks like that is exactly who it was.
Irma
That doesn't look like Kermit to me
Kermit
Benny
RO28 and Benny
RO28

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Since Oct. or even longer, we have been watching these four dogs roam White Plains. They have no owners, they are abandoned. Rob and I have been trying to befriend them, maybe catch them and give them to someone who can love and care for them. We havent had success with agencies, no one will help get them out of Plains area. We have contacted NOAA also, Dera has been our most help in trying to get the agencies to come out there and take the dogs. There are actually six dogs roaming, two in the Camp Grounds area. One dog got taken by someone and it was the cutest one, who I nicknamed EINSTEIN, as he was the smartest dog of all. I am so thrilled he has a home. We have been feeding the dogs, they are also fed by cabin folks. It is such a sad situation. We have also had two seals molt, and kermit is next and the dogs remain. The bigger one is a brindle hunting dog, been abused, in our opinion and we cant make contact with it, other than food. It hurts to see these poor dogs roaming daily, drinking water from the toilets at the restrooms or the air conditioning units that drip water. I cant take the dogs in, I have my own to care for. If anyone wants a dog, very smart little chiauaus and one large brindle, let me know. These dogs do not deserve to be roaming and begging to be fed. My heart goes out to them. But I also worry for our seals which the dogs do visit. I believe in helping all animals that man neglects or abandones.
Now, finding Benny and R028 yesterday was a huge thrill for me. What a combination...I wish there could be babies in the future with R028 and Benny. I can dream, right? Happy New Year TO all the people involved with saving our Monk Seals!!!! Lets hope 2011 will be a great pupping year, a safe year for all our beloved seals. Hugs to all, B