Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The began with a call from posse member, Otto, at 0530, reporting an animal on the beach at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived, at 0540, I found Irma and cordoned her off . My last Irma check was at 1300. I got a call from Lesley at 1444 reporting that Irma was gone. I questioned witnesses in the area and the departure window seems to be between 1300 and 1400. I checked Irma's and Lesley and I did a watch at Blowhole, hoping that she might be foraging, but we did not find Irma again.

I was having no fun at all , looking at a Rabbit Island with only Shearwater residents, until at 1055, Buster hauled out at Seal Rock Inlet. His D#3 molt is a conservative 5%. He would be the only flippered RI resident today.

The real highlight of the day came at 1159, when I got a call from Val, on Molokai. That would be a highlight in and of itself, but the news made it even better. "Lucy & Ethel" (Diane & Val) found our little Nihoa pal, RA50 (of Shark's Cove fame), on Molokai. The last
photo evidence is from a haul out at Shark's Cove on 1-31-10, however Tracy recalls getting a sighting email about him swimming in the Shark's Cove area in the Spring sometime, with no photos. That kid is amazing !! He appears to be well on his way to finishing his first molt.

Dera called at 1400 with word that Right Spot was at Rocky Point today. She had apparently also been there yesterday.
 Miss Irma looking beautiful....
 What a wondeful sight!
 This little bugger sure likes hanging out on rocks...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's like a hot stone massage:)