Thursday, July 23, 2009

DB Post Thursday 7/23/2009

When I arrived at Sandy Beach this morning at 0520, I found that Irma had departed. I picked up the signs and continued on. I did multiple rechecks of the Irma's/Sandy Beach areas through the day, but nobody ever popped up.

From the Makapuu Overview (MO) at 0642 I could see M&M and pup doing a swim in the Middle Cliff area. They would remain in that neighborhood all day. I observed 2 swims and 2 feeds.

From Makai Pier at 0657 I saw a smallish, red tagged animal, I believe to have been a male, with an old coat, haul out to just above the water line , 30 ft. left of 1BS. It was apparent from the fist moment that the animal was in distress. The way it was flopping and flapping around, and the exaggerated head movement, all indicated what I have come to know as a fish hook. It would take until 0832 before I could positively confirm a hook, leader, and line in the left corner of the mouth. Due to the horrible morning lighting, overcast conditions, VOG, and the fact that the animal was directly in line with the off shore backwash waves between the pier and RI, I had a difficult time with observations. The animal appeared to be smallish, perhaps 1-2 yr old, with an old coat, and lots of algae. I saw 2 red tags, I can't rule out Kolohe, but I believe it was a bit larger that that. The bottom line is, I have no ID. The animal was in obvious distress, and at 0832 began to reenter the water, however the line got stuck in the water front rocks and the animal once again began flopping around like a fish on a line, pulling the line taught. Something gave and the animal entered the water. I did not see the animal again today. I notified Tracy of all of this at 0832, however the animal was not seen again today. Hopefully, tomorrow will provide an opportunity to get the job done.

I relocated to the Makapuu Overview at 0920, hoping to be able to see the fish hook animal , however that did not happen. I did, however, find Duke from that location. He was hidden down behind some rocks at the right end of the beach, and was invisible from Makai Pier. He would later move up with the tide, and remained at the right end of the beach all day.

When I got back to the pier at 1100, I found that an U/M with red tags, was on the water front rocks, 60 ft right of 3BS. It was a M/L male , however I could not get an ID. My guess is Buster, but I really got no info. He entered the water at 1205 and I did not see him again today. The overcast conditions and VOG made observation difficult.

Posse member Betty, from Hanauma Bay, called at 0744 to report that one of the early morning swimmer ,regulars reported having seen "a small animal" in the cable channel at the right end of HB. No other info was available.

Team Billand checked in at 1105 with the report of Ewa Girl, at Palm Grove , Campbell Industrial Park. Fishermen witnesses said she hauled out around 0900.

Mary Jay called at 1329 to report that Rocky had hauled out in Ewa Beach, at the same location as day before yesterday.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Why all these hookings keep occuring to our precious critters? What are WE to do with this matter? How can we help our critters out? I think this is number seven monk seal hooking. Your discription of this seal and his thrashing was so vivid in my mind. I feel awful. Hopeless. Upset and worried!! These poor seals suffer all the time because of humans. Fishermen!!! Try to keep an eye out for our beloved SEALS!! If ya see one near the area of your fishing spot, WAIT! Let the seal pass!! THere are thousands of FISHERMEN!!! On Oahu there are approximately 30 plus seals!!! I dont know how to fix this problem and it scares me to death. Our Hawaiian Monk Seals are in great danger from EXTICTION already. What are we to do??? If there IS an ANSWER, we better all do something fast. Appreciate your incredible monk seal work Mr. Dunlap. I cant imagine how it felt witnessing all that trauma of a seal...HOOKED AGAIN!!!!!