Sunday, July 5, 2009

DB Post Sunday 7/5/2009

The Rabbit Island cast for today was M&M and Pup at 3BS , where they remained all day. I observed 2 feeds and 1 swim today. The kid appears happy and well, and his gaining size each day.

Duke was at the right end of the beach all day, again spending time out on the water front rocks as the tide began to rise foraging for small prey in the pukas.

Sadie spent the day at the left end of the beach mostly in snooze mode except for occasional moves up with the rising tide.

At 1334 an U/M appeared in the shallows approximately 40 ft right of M&M. She barked and postured, and the animal made no attempt to come closer. My guess, based on size, and mottled belly, is that it was Buster, but I can't state that as fact.

The distressing part about today came at 0926 when I found Irma still wet, and newly hauled out at the water line at Irma's. As I began the routine cordoning off procedure, I saw from the corner of my eye, the dramatic movement of Irma's head, and in so doing I became aware of approximately 5+ feet of fishing line, with a tennis ball sized knot of line at the end. The entire observation was a matter of 1-2 seconds, so I can't say that I saw a hook, but the attachment point of the line seemed to be to the left side of her face, mostly probably her mouth. She immediately departed in a westerly direction, toward Sandy Beach etc. I spent the next 1 1/2 hours searching for her, but did not see her again . I notified Hanauma Bay personnel and Rachel at Diamond Head to be on the look out, and notified Tracy.

During my conversation with Rachel at Diamond Head, she advised that Rocky as there today, and had also been there yesterday. She said that she had been contacted by "the office" about Rocky presence, and had notified me because she assumed that I already new she she had recieved a call. A later conversation confirmed that she knew nothing about the response. I'm still checking that one out.


No comments: