Friday, July 31, 2009

DB Post Friday July 31st 2009

M&M and pup once again changed locations. I initially found them at 2BS. In the afternoon they had relocated to 1BS. This marks the furthest left they have hauled out.

RIP was at the far left end of the island but would do a swim in the morning and encounter M38 at 3BS. They would spat for a few rounds, but never got closer than 15 ft. It was all bark and no bite. M38 would depart, and RIP returned to the left end of the beach.

At 0904, Kolohe would haul out at the right end and move up into the grass. He would later move back down to cool off, and remained there the rest of the day.

Duke would haul out to 3BS in the afternoon.

I had to make a run to town and was on my way to my car at 0941 when I spied a swimming Monk Seal head just off the Waimanalo side of the pier, headed toward the shore line. It turned and swam back directly under my location and under the pier. I could see red tags, but that was the extent of it. I last the animal under the pier, and despite looking all over the area, did not see it again. When I got back to the pier at 1130, I noticed that M38 was back at RI. I can't prove it of course, but my dollar is on M38 as the pier swimmer.

At 1322 Hanauma Bay posse person Betty called to report an animal swimming near the "Backdoor" channel at the left side of Hanauma Bay. When I arrived and looked from the overview at 1400 I could see an animal doing consistent 6 minute dives. I got the spotting scope and at 1447 confirmed the animal as Rocky. She moved inside and checked the left side rock flats, but never hauled out . I lost her as she explored the left side flats, moving out toward the point. I went down and checked a few of the inlets on the left side, but found nothing. I then did the Toilet Bowl trek, and once again came up empty. I returned to the overview and searched another 15 minute, and then departed. Five minutes later (1657) , just as I was approaching Sandy Beach, HB personnel called to advise that the animal had just hauled out to the sand at the left end of the beach. When I got there at 1705, I confirmed that it was Rocky. I got her cordoned off, and the HB maintenance guy will check her tonight. My guess is that she will over night. I'll be there first thing in the morning.

No comments: