Wednesday, July 8, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 7/8/2009

It was another day in the Irma Quest. Sadly, after lots of hours and lots of miles, I must say that we never crossed pathes.

The day began with my first look at Rabbit Island at 0643. M&M and pup were at their usual spot at 3BS, and Kolohe was 50 ft to their right .

After a check of the other SE quadrant spots, I continued on to Black Point and Diamond Head. Those locations were a bust.

I got back to Makai Pier at 0948 and assisted Brenda Becker with an HPU class thing. The RI cast was the same. At 1034 I hit the road for the SW quadrant.

I began the SW quadrant at 1130, and found nobody, however one of the lifeguards said that an unknown animal had briefly hauled out as far as the shore break near the east end perimeter fence at 1000, but the animal departed after just a couple of seconds, swimming off in an Ewa Beach direction. There was no further ID info.

I continued on to Kalaeloa Campgrounds, Wind Sock, and Nimitz Beach, and then did all the Ewa Beach spots from Hau Bush to Ewa Beach Park. Unfortunately, it was a bust.

I then back tracked, ending at Palm Grove , Campbell Industrial Park. Once again it was a total bust.

I finally got back to Makai Pier at 1502. M&M and pup were right where I'd left them , as was Kolohe, however Sadie had joined the cast, 20 ft right of Kolohe.

At 1519 two animals began to emerge from the water at Kolohe and Sadie's location at the right end of the beach. The first animal in line was Duke, and right behind him was M38. Duke would move up onto the beach, but M38 stayed only a minute or so and then returned to the water. I did not see him again today. I called it a day at 1600, and came home to begin the dailies.

No comments: