Friday, July 24, 2009

DB POST FRIDAY 7/24/2009

The day began at 0545 when I found Irma waiting for me at the Cove at Sandy Beach. I got her cordoned off, and because there was a bus load of teenagers in her area , I hung around. It's a good thing I did because at 0628, in swims M38 to join Irma. He must have learned something from his 4 day stint with her, because this time around he only stayed until 0705. At that time he reentered the water and swam off. It was not to be the last of M38. I rechecked Irma multiple times though the day. She was still there on my 1600 check, and I'll be returning at dusk to reassess.

At 0808 , from the Makapuu Overview I got my first look at the Rabbit Island cast. M&M and pup had moved to the Left Middle Cliff/ 2BS area, and remained there all day. In fact they were hidden behind rocks all day. Kolohe was up in the Morning Glory at the right end of the beach, and directly below him was Buster. Down from both of them, on the water front rocks was Duke.

When I got down to Makai Pier at 0820 I confirmed all those ID's and also found that there was an U/U on the left end of the beach. I never got a chance to ID that animal because at 0828 M38 hauled out and the U/U moved down to the water line to confront him. I never saw a belly or hind flippers on the U/U but based on behavior during the spats with M38 , I guess it was a male. It might well have been one of the regulars, but with the junk morning light, VOG, and wave action at that end of the beach, no ID was possible.

I did not see the fish hooked animal today, however I drew some joy from at least being able to rule out Kolohe.

M38 was in classic "cruiser mode" today, hauling out to bother everybody except M&M.

M&M was totally uncooperative today. She and the pup were behing water front rocks all day, near 2BS. I only saw bits and pieces of them, however I did see 1 feed.

At 1047 , Team Billand reported Ewa Girl at Palm Grove, Campbell Industrial Park.

I last saw M38 on Rabbit Island at 1400. When I checked Irma at 1600 she was still there, and alone. When I went back at 1730, there was M38 lying there beside her. The boy definitely put in some mileage today. Both departed, with Irma in the lead, at 1953. I picked up the stuff and called it a day at 2000.

No comments: