Tuesday, July 7, 2009

DB Post 7/7/09 Tuesday

On my 0630 from the Makapuu Overview (MO) look at Rabbit Island I found M&M and pup at 3BS, Kolohe just climbing into the grasses, 60 ft right of 3BS. When I got to Makai Pier I also found that what would prove to be Sadie was on the far left end of the beach, partially hidden behind water front rocks.

After my unproductive Hanauma Bay, Spitting Cave, and Kokee Flats checks, I took off for Diamond Head, since the Irma Quest is the top priority. At 0850 I found Rocky just hauling out to "Rocky's Island" fronting the Jim Nabor's house at Black Point. I put up signs and continued on with a check of the entire Diamond frontage, finding nobody. In a conversation with DH posse person Rachel I found out that a surfer she'd spoken with said that he'd seen an animal in the water at 1600 on Sunday that had a fish hook in it's mouth. I have no other info about that sighting, but assuming that it was Irma it would indicate travel in a westward direction .

I decided to do a Sand Island check, and found nobody.

The Billands covered everything from Ewa Beach to Yokes, and they too found nobody.

I finally got back to Makai Pier at 1228. M&M and pup were doing a feed, and Sadie and Kolohe were now totally visible at the morning locations. I found that Duke was now at mid middle cliff (MMC), where he would remain the rest of the day.

At 1411 I saw M&M posterior and bark at something in the water just off shore of thier location. It would prove to be M38, back from his most recent Molokai trip. The bark did the trick, and M38 would then proceed to move to all other cast member to bug them. In each case he got virtually no reaction at all, and after just a couple of minutes he would enter the water and move on to his next victim.

I was perfectly happy cruisin' with the RI gang, but a call from Rachel at Diamond Head, at 1440, brought that to an end. She reported an animal just hauling out down the beach from Colleen's house, below the 2nd Lookout. It is Rocky's usual location, and everything told me that it was probably Rocky, but I hit the road anyway, on the off chance that it might be Irma. As it turned out it was Rocky . Though Rachel had the stuff up, due to the lack of beach at high tide, it was impossible to get her any space. That is just part of the reality of Diamond Head.

I picked up the Black Point signs from the morning and called it a day at 1600 , and came home to start the dailies.

No comments: