Tuesday, July 21, 2009

DB Post Monday 7/21/2009

The first order of business was to check Sandy Beach at 0530. Sure enough there were Irma and M38, right where I'd left them last night. I restrung the rope and rechecked them every couple of hours all day. Tracy and Dominique came to Sandys in the morning, and Tracy was able to visualize the inside of Irma's mouth. I am happy to report that she found nothing. Both critters were still there at 1600. I'll recheck them shortly.

My first look at Rabbit Island had been a bust in the morning, however when I got back to MP at 1040 I found M&M and pup at the middle of the Middle Cliff area. They would remain there all day. I observed 3 feeds and 1 swim. The kid is beginning the round stage, and there is a subtle change to the coat on D#25.

It was not until 1052 , on a routine pan, that I found that Duke had been doing a rock impersonation to the right of 3BS. He'd been there all along, I just missed him. He would enter the water at 1140, but would be back on the beach in the same location when I got back to Makai Pier from the noon Sandy Beach check. All would remain there the rest of the day.

I remained with Irma and M38 until 2000. They were still there when I departed

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I wonder who the last two seals are in the dailys? Does any one know????

Barbara said...

Excellent pics of the seals. Glad Irma was deemed ok and healthy. Poor M38, that is a nasty looking thingy on his back posterior. Is that thing healed? Looks even bigger than before! Wonder what caused it? Is he ok? He looks plump other wise.

Laura said...

Barbara, that last photo is labeled EG & RIP 7/20, so I guess that's Ewa Girl and RIP.
They're looking quite..um..well-rounded... :)