Tuesday, October 16, 2012

10-15-2012 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi,Duke,Kolohe,Aukai&Nani@RI, Nani@MP, Buster@LL, Right Spot&PO3@TB, RI37@Laie, M&M@CIP


Kimo was waiting for me when I arrived at Sandy Beach at 0550. He advised that there had been an animal near the sewer outfall at the east end of Sandy Beach, but it had departed just prior to my arrival. I checked the trail later, and there is zero doubt in my mind that it was Buster, but ?????????

At 0700 I found Kaiwi (RK96) fronting 3BS on Rabbit Island. She would later relocate to mid Middle Cliff on RI, where she remained the rest of the day.
While checking RI from Makai Pier at 0715 I lucked out and found Nani (RK60) foraging 25 ft off the MP breakwater. I observed her dives until losing her at 0724. The ID was made by her visible molting.

At 0739 I found Duke (RA12) just hauling out to 1BS on Rabbit Island.

Kimo called at 0754 with the report of Buster (RV08) doing a quick check of Lanai Lookout, on his Kaiwi check. Finding nobody, Buster continued the adventure.

At 1058 Dana called to advise of an animal at Kaupo Beach Park. I arrived at 1100 but it would be 1120 before I found the animal. It would prove to be Irma (R010). Her usual MO is to hang out on the Makai Pier side of the beach, however today, for the first time ever, I found her at the Makapuu end of the beach, where the "permanent residents" live. I cordoned her off and she has remained the rest of the day. Irma was gone when I arrived at 1830. Since the denizens of the immediate area are only vaguely aware of what planet they're on , they were of no help in establishing a departure time. I picked up the stuff, and called it a day.

At 1219 I found Aukai (RL12) at the far left end of RI, and Kolohe(RW22) and Nani (RK60) with Duke fronting 1BS. All three would enter the water at 1234, and do a swim/play session. Nani would haul out to 1BS at 1322 , but the boyz remained in the water. I lost them at 1347.

Dana called at 0807 to advise that Right Spot (R016) had been seen near the trailers at Turtle Bay.

At 1017 Dana advised that Azlina Harun had reported RI37 behind her house in Laie.

Also at 1017 Dana reported that PO3 had been seen at McKenzies Pond, Turtle Bay.

Team Billand called to report M&M (R020) at Campbell Industrial Park at 1020. Atd 1048 the called to advise that she had been run off by an idiot yelling at her. She would later haul out again down the beach aways at Palm Grove, CIP.

Kolohe, Duke & Nani 
 Buster 
 Irma @ Kaupo Beach Park













2 comments:

Karen said...

Turtle Bay's weaned pup:
Barb suggested I share the pup's meeting up with her sister La'akea.
What a great show to see them frolicking, rolling, swirling around each other, playing belly up , getting washed on and off the reef ledge together, diving together. But it didn't start that way. The weaner was alone at McKenzie beach when I arrived and she spent an hour exploring that little cove before heading back to the elbow just before the point. In anticipation, I headed there, and to my surprise there was green-tinged La'akea snoozing. This was gonna be interesting!
The pup hauled out, but didn't see her older sister for awhile. When she finally did, she slowly galumphed over, touching La'akea. Then all hell broke loose. La'akea snarled and attacked, then a split second later, moved like a bullet to the water. (Faster than I can run- THAT was a surprise!) Pup followed. There were a few tense moments of posturing, leeriness, circling each other and general aggressiveness. Well, that must have been the 'getting to know' period because they soon headed out just beyond the shore break to play for an hour. When they finally hauled out, it was still playtime- that is until the pup began vocalizing because of hunger and tried to nurse on her sister who would have none of it. They finally settled down. I feel very lucky and privileged to have seen all this.

Diga said...

Thanks for sharing your experience Karen. I'm so glad you got to experience their meeting but, darn, I wish I was there too! This is what I hoped would happen. How cool if they pair up and become play pals. Hopefully, La'akea can help her along for a while.

Diane