Tuesday, October 23, 2012

10-23-2012 DB's Dailies: Aukai&Kaiwi@RI, Buster@SB, Irma@HB, RL54@TB


On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island I found Aukai (RL12) snoozin' on the water front rocks, left of Seal Rock Inlet. She would remain all day, only moving up with the tide.

At 0908 morning walker posse member Larry Jullian called to report at animal on the beach at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 0918 I found Buster snoozin' there. I cordoned him off and he remained the rest of the day.

Martha called from Hanauma Bay at 1030 to advise of an animal toward the west end of HB. When I arrived I found Irma (R010) on the beach. Since HB was closed today, Irma had the whole place to herself.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1247 I found that Aukai was still there, and on a pan I found Kaiwi (RK96) , partially visible at Rocky Right Beach. She would remain the rest of the day.
Vera Cober checked in at 1200 to advise that RL54 was fat and happy and at the birth beach today.

Kimo Smith did yet another KP trek today. He found RIP (RR70), RL42, Ka'ena (RO40), Kerby (RW08), D#3, 15% molted& Noa R6FI).


Buster V08  
 Irma back @ Hanauma Bay 
 RL54,55,57
 Chubby bubby
The girl has bling
Kerby going to pieces.... Always an unpleasant process, but when they seals are green and molting it looks like they are moldy rotten. :-) 
 Noa
 RIP Kerby and Noa
 Nice angel shot!
 RIP
 RL42 N20 hanging out at Ka'ena Point, seems she found a good spot to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do the seals have burned tags on them ?? That's terrible .:(

Anonymous said...

I can understand your concern Anonymous, but that IS NOT a brand. It is simply a bleach mark, done with Lady Clairol Blonde #5, with some peroxide and a mousing agent, written on the animal while they are fast asleep. They never have a clue that it happened and is in no way harmful to them. Bleaches are done only by NOAA personnel. They are a tremendous aid in allowing the public to identify animals, and report them to the Hotline. DB