Monday, February 7, 2011

SAM RT30/31 5/25/10 - 2/7/2011

It hurts me to my soul to have to write these words, but I'm afraid I have sad news. I've just gotten off the phone with Tracy (0856). She and Dera have just recovered Sam (RT30/31) from Waialua. The little guy had been badly ravaged by a shark, and Tracy guesstimated that decomposition suggested 4-5 days, however an actual cause of death will be determined at the necropsy tomorrow.
   Sam is the Rabbit Island pup from 2010, the latest son of Ewa Girl, born 5-25-10 which makes him 9 1/2 months old. I'd last seen the little guy , at Rabbit Island on 1-30-11.
  Thank you to Jen Maldonado, and anyone else that was out there, and to Dana as well, for the call, earlier this evening, and of course, Dera and Tracy for dealing with the situation. - DB

To my monk seal friends - along with DB I feel the sadness for another loss of such a young animal. It is never easy to lose any of these animals, but really stings when they are so young.  We all work hard to support the efforts to keep them going and sometimes it's just what happens in nature....   Personally each time I have experienced this, it always feels like I lost a something dear to me.  ~da blog lady~

i am sam - sam i am
photos 7/2010

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh My GOSH, what can we say to the tragic loss of this wonderful sweet soul...SAM. I am so sorry this has happened..
The photos are so darling, it hurts so bad. Will there ever be peace for monk seals ever??? They suffer all the time and us along with them. We all work so hard to keep them safe, to hear another loss in just a couple of days, so hard to take. My heart goes out to DB and Marylin too. DB, we all know how you spend your day, seven days a week, observing all the critters out there on R.I. You bring to us, you paint a picture of what you observe. My heart goes out to you DB. Rob and I are so very sorry.

Now Sam will join together, with Penelope, Hoku, Mikala...and be free for ever.

Our prayers to you DB, god bless. Oh how we will miss little Sam....love you sweetheart, B

Dana Jones said...

Many thanks to those who fought the horrible rain and situation tonight to bring Sam home. Thank you to Jen Maldonado who was first responder. We were really hoping it was just a weird call. Unfortunately not. Thank you to the NOAA team who arrived and collected Sam and let us all know, that were waiting so anxiously for the news. Such a sad situation. My heart goes out to DB and Marilyn as they have been such caretakers of him since his birth. We all miss these wonderful creatures, because they touch our hearts with such beauty and grace and playfulness. You will be greatly missed and remembered, along with the others that have touched us all.
Auntie Dana

Wayne K S Kaululaau said...

Aloha Sam! Akua please malama our friend from the sea. Mahalo!

Liz said...

Such as sad day for the Seal community ( people and seals )
It is hard to accept these things happen, especially when we get so close due to our work in this area.

I admire the people that continue to respond when these things do indeed happen. Thanks Jen, Dera and Tracy, and DB and Dana too.

Unknown said...

I AM VERY SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF SAM. I ENJOY THE BLOGS AND KEEPING UP WITH ALL OUR LITTLE FRIENDS. I SADDENS ME DEEPLY TO HEAR OF THE POOR BABY SUCCUMBING TO A SHARK ATTACK, KNOWING IT IS NATURES WAY DOESN'T STOP THE HURT. THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO SPEND ALL YOUR DAYS WATCHING OVER ALL OF OUR SEAL FRIENDS. SOMETIMES I KNOW IT FEELS LIKE A THANKLESS JOB, BUT KNOW IN YOUR HEARTS THAT YOU ARE DOING A GREAT THING AND HOPEFULLY IN THE LONG RUN THERE WILL BE SUNSHINE.
ALOHA SAM AND REST IN PEACE. JOANNIE SPEAR

Donna said...

Thank you Joanie for your kind words. It is always nice to hear words of support. I know our blog has many followers, so its extra special having you reach out.

donna ~da blog lady~