Monday, February 21, 2011

2-21-11 Kelly Girl Goes Looking for Ua Malie

Aloha,
Don't get to excited with the pictures attached. There were no seal this afternoon at Turtle Bay only Endangered Hawaiian Stilts (Ae'o) flashing there pink legs.
I arrived at Turtle Bay approximately 3:30 and headed towards the stable side of Turtle Bay as usually. I ran into a couple coming from Kawela Bay who said they saw a seal when they swam out to the breakers in the bay. They saw it swimming around and splashing. So I headed all the way to Kawela Bay from the stables, riding my bike in deep sand and mud very skillfully. I checked out the beach and the water all the way to Auntie Ku'ulei's rock and did not see any seals. It was worth a try.
I then headed to Kahuku Point checking the beaches all the way to McKenzie's cove in hopes of finding Ua Malie. It was 5:00 already as I headed past Kahuku Point and out past Hanakailio Beach to MaryAnn's Point aka Marconi Point. I did not see any seals. On my way back to Turtle Bay I checked Mckenzies Cove but still no seals. The water was a little rough.
I had stopped earlier at the Keiki Lagoon only to find a seal sign stuck in a tree so I fixed it up however I  think we need to get a car out there to pick up the rest of the signs as not to leave any footprints. I know they had cleaned that area up once before but the signs are just getting ruined out there and there are 6 or 7 posts that are just rusting. Sorry I could not carry them back on my bike. I've attached pictures of interest. I departed at 6pm.
Over all it was another great sealing day in paradise. Hope the pictures come through.
Mahalo for letting me volunteer  :)  kelly girl 
(Kelly, THANK YOU for volunteering, you have gone above and beyond walking the beaches, taking buses into Waikiki. It's nice having some one so dedicated).

2 comments:

Diga said...

I wonder who the seal was that you saw. Lesley and I went out last Thursday looking for Ua'Malie but had no luck. I went again with my husband on Saturday evening but struck out again. I ran into a fisherman who I used to see regularly when we were watching full time and he said he hadn't seen her in about two months. Hopefully, she has moved to a safer place and that someone will spot her soon. Thanks for your report Kelly. Diane

kelly girl said...

You welcome Diane. Sorry to say I did not see the seal so I don't know what seal it was:( Maybe they were sending me on a wild seal chase?
I think the next place to check is from V-land thru Pahipahialua Beach Park (Crawford's) and onto Auntie Ku'ulei's Rock at Kawela Bay. I will probably do that on Sunday, in preperation for the April 2011 seal count.
Please let me know when you go to that way. I can save some personal time and energy lol. No need for us to show up on the same day, unless one of us does the morning and one does the afternoon-evening. It is pretty spooky out there after the sunsets. I've done it alone and will probably not do it again:)
Not sure if anyone understands the reason why I ride my bike and take the bus. Mostly it was related to the oil spill last March. I committed to boycott oil for one year. Time is almost up:) Secondly is because I'm have a permanent injury and it is easier for me to ride than walk. I am meticulous about not missing any inch of beach or or rocky coastline just as if I was hiking it. Have great seal day in paradise:)