Sunday, February 27, 2011

2-26-2011 Kelly Girl Sits with KC @ Hau'ula

Aloha,
I headed out around 11:30am to canvas the North Shore beaches by bike in search of Ua Malie when Dana called to say there was a seal in Hau'ula. I hopped the bus with my bike to Hau'ula Beach Park. I arrived
around 12:30. Luckily Candy Greene had identified the seal as KC and had the crowd under control. She had said a local family who saw the seal in the morning had used sticks to circle KC to protect her. Then she had widened the zone and I'm not sure who brought the caution tape.
Later we had to widen the zone so that KC wouldn't be so restless. We explained the rule of thumb to many who visited KC and reminded everyone to please keep 150 feet away. We had a lot of little children who helped safely place the sticks to widen the area for KC. I was honored to meet the locals of Hau'ula who were naturals at protecting seals that frequent that area.
As you can see in the pictures KC has a new wound on her lower right quadrant. Looks like another cookie cutter shark bite. Although a local fisherman said that he has seen sea birds can take big chunks out the large fish that look just like that.
Do you see KC's belly....oh boy or girl for that matter? Hopefully we will see a pup soon from KC. I'm no expert but she sure does look pregnant to me.
It was an honor to see the Hawaiian Community care so much for KC. The seals sighting number was handed out to many people today. Many locals that frequent the Hau'ula beaches are very interested in becoming seal volunteers. I removed the caution tape and left KC still on the beach at 6:30pm.
Another great seal day in paradise:)
Mahalo, kelly girl

New cookie cutter wound?  Looks like it's on the mend 
 When in doubt improvise....
 KC a little rolley polley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kelly & Candy ! That is most definitely a phat KC. The new wound is absolutely a Cookie Cutter bite. My dollar is on the week of the 22nd of May, but only KC knows. DB

kelly girl said...

I wanted to thank all the little children, local children and tourist children alike for helping with the sticks to protect KC. I hope they read the blog and see the importance of their work.
I also want to thank Candy for also staying with KC until she had to leave around 3:30 or so.
It really does take team work to keep the crowd staying 150 ft away. Also thank you Davina who sat with KC and observed what it takes to be a monk seal volunteer.
KC left between 6:30 and 7:30pm as Candy had gone back to check but KC was gone:)