Saturday, February 19, 2011

2-19-11 DB Dailies with a trek to Ka'ena Point by Mrs. Whisperer

At 0716 I found what would take literally all day to prove as RIP at Seal Rock Inlet. I finally got the ID with the rising tide forcing him to do a 4 slow roll move up onto the beach from his all day spot on the water front rocks. I got a good sustained look at the left side of his mouth in the process, and found nothing there. 

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0840 I found and animal 70 ft left of RIP, on the water front rocks, which I would finally ID at 1403 as Mojo. He too was forced to move up with the rising tide.

Tracy arrived at around noon with a horde of Big&Little Sisters to view the Rabbit Island cast. She told me that T21M had been near access 186D in Ewa Beach today.

On my 0803 check of Spitting Cave, I found Kolohe doing 7 minute dives. 

I got a call from D. Schofield at 1030 about a reported possibly entangled animal in the waters between Makapuu Beach and the Makapuu Lighthouse. I spent nearly 2 hrs in the area, and found nothing. I returned on my way home, from 1630 to 1700, and once again found nothing.
Marilyn did the Ka'ena Point trek today, and found T15M (1033) ,at the point, first on the back beach and then moving to the front beach. She found RI37 on her way out at 1254, at the very beach where her miscarriage had taken place. She spoke with DOFAW person Keale and he advised that RI37 had hauled out at 0830, just moments after he had spread the ashes and did a chant for her deceased pup.

Team Billand called at 1020 to report Kermit at Kermit's Reef, on the west side of the Nimitz jetty. They later advised that he had departed at 1447.
They found R018 with his new transmitter at Maili Point at 1712.

A call from Dera at 1654 brought an interesting tidbit of news, for the yesterday's news file. She had gotten a call yesterday from a surfer who had seen Makana (RT24) in the line up in Mokuleia. He was ID'd by his N27 bleach.

RIP 
 RI37 "N29"
 T21M aka Sharkbite

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was curious as to the sex of the pup miscarried by RI37? Male or Female? I had been reading the blog and it seems that no one had mentioned that.

Diga said...

Does it really matter?

Donna said...

Aloha Anon...
To the best of my knowledge it is "unknown". I am not sure if it is because it was so premature or if it's just information that has not been released. Either way the loss is sad and significant... and more importantly the concern will be to make sure RI37 is okay.

I know the PIFSC (pacific island fisheries science center) is monitoring her and perhaps taking a closer look once she gets through her "pregenancy period".

Anonymous said...

Yes Diga it does matter!

Charles said...

Aloha All-

Results from the necropsy indicate that the fetus was female.