Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Molokai Surprise NEW Seal Identified

Hey Blog Lady....
We did our weekly trek to Laau Pt today and have discovered a new monk seal. As you can see by the photos he is a cutie....he is a young, newly molted, very clean seal and has not been tagged yet. I have enclosed some rare photos of him. I am sure we'll be seeing more of him in the future. Anybody have any suggestions for a name?????   Instead of flat stanley... fat stanley because I am sure he's going to be showing up in a lot of places... Thanks Val you got a good laugh out of me!

Molokai Seal Team

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Dont know what to call the new kid, he is a cutie. I think you need to collect the poop in the third shot for science. He needs to be bleached right away as I see no markers. Name? Laau? Hmmm, let me think, Mo? Short for MOLOKAI. DB? For Dianne and Bloys? JO? Means sweetheart in scrabble. I dont know. Braddha?

Barbara said...

As Rob and I viewed the shots, I think you are too close, EYE CONTACT? TSK.TSK! He seems to be aware of your presence!! Oh, what about....KID ROCK?

val said...

Oh my gosh, I love the name Laau or Kid Rock...
In no way were we too close, photos were taken with large zoom. We take all the necessary precautions when dealing with these endangered animals!
DOn't forget these kids can really travel--who knows when him might show up on your island.

val

Di Molokai said...

I know many of you were concerned about us with all that went on here last year but as you can see by Val's latest blog...........
WE'RE BACK ON THE BEACHES AGAIN, HAVING FUN AND LOVIN' IT!!!!

Diane