Friday, January 15, 2010

1/15/2010 DB Dailies


My first pass through the SE quadrant was a bust. When I did my 3rd pass through Sandy Beach at 0910, I found Benny swimming the beach front, lookin' for chicks. He hauled out for 10 minutes at the east end (Right Spot's hangout), but reentered the water and swam off to the east.

When I got to Makai Pier again at 1003 I found Mikala, and at 1030 M&M hauled out. At 1151 Duke joined the cast , hauling out near Mikala at the far left end of the beach on Rabbit Island. I did a Sandy Beach recheck from 1238, getting back to Makai Pier at 1310. I found that Benny had hauled out to join M&M during my absence. All RI cast members remained there the rest of the day.

Team Billand reported Irma at Al's Bench, Kalaeloa Campgrounds, at 1020, and called again at 1058 to report Kermit at Kermit's Reef on the west side of the Nimitz jetty.

Yesterday a surfer at Nimitz Beach had reported an abandoned Gill Net he'd seen in the water for a week, to the Billands. They in turn notified DOCARE. An officer came and made out a report that would be forwarded to the aquatics division etc., etc., etc.. Today the surfer and 2 of his buddies, Bob Van Dyke, Garren Thomas and Pat Beter, brought the net in after their surf. Who needs DOCARE ??

Benny & M+M @Rabbit Island

Mikala & Duke Rabbit Island

Surfer Heros !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion to the board....we should publicly recognize the officers that do respond and folks like this at an annual banquet or such.

Donna said...

Thats a GREAT idea! I agree there should be something that recognizes many of the people who are out there day after day... However the HMSRTO organization is still in its first year and just doesn't have the budget for such an event at this time... Perhaps with some fund raising efforts in the future this will be something to plan!
THANKS for the suggestion anonymous..