Saturday, January 9, 2010

1/9/2010 DB Dailes

I was on the road , as usual at 0600. The first stop was at Sandy Beach. I'd left Right Spot there on the beach the night before, but she was now gone. I picked up the signs and continued on. At 0721 I found Mojo snoozin' in the grass at the right end of the beach at Rabbit Island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0850 I found that Mojo had been joined by Duke up in the grass. I also found that Mikala had hauled out 30 ft left of 1BS, at the left end of the beach.

At 0948, M38 would haul out to join Mojo and Duke. All would move down later to cool off but there was virtually no interaction at all.

There were waves at Rabbit Island today, and there were a few dozen people who knew that. I counted 12 vehicles of various kinds anchored out there. All played by the rules exept to 2 dummies, that apparently can't read, or see blue and white. They hauled out at 1043 leaving their long boards at the greenery to the right of 1BS, and went off to surf. Of course I called DOCARE at 1050, but I'm unaware of any DOCARE response. Shortly after the two guys left their boards on the beach, 2 animals hauled out at that exact location. Fortunately , the stayed only briefly. I followed them as they played in the water, so I know that one was Kolohe, who hauled out to 3BS. The other animal I never saw again and will go into the books as an U/U.

Marilyn had done multiple Sandy Beach checks through the morning, with no animals found. She was on her way to do another check, when I got a call from Sandy Beach life guard , Billy, at 1238, reporting that an animal was just hauling out at the east end of SB. When I arrived at 1252 I found my wife, and Right Spot. We got her cordoned off, and did lots of PR. Right Spot was still there as of 1600. I'll be returning shortly.

Team Billand called at 0825 with the report of Kermit on the west side of the Nimitz jetty.

I picked up the Right Spot rope at 1900. She was still there.

Kolohe

M38, Mojo,& Duke

M38,Mojo, & Duke

Mikala @Rabbit Island

Right Spot @Sandy Beach

Kermit @Nimitz

No comments: