Monday, January 16, 2017

1/16/2017 DB's Dailies: Right Spot @ Irma's, RM38 @ Rabbit Island, Kawena@Kaupo Beach Park, Pohaku@Tracks, Kerby@Maili, R5AY & RI37 @ Hauula,

At 0710 I found Right Spot (R016) at Irma’s, 300 ft east of the Kealahou traffic . I immediately called the HMMA Hotline. She was still there on my 1400 recheck.

 At 0748 I arrived at Makai Pier for Rabbit Island observations and found RM38 at Seal Rock Inlet. There has been lots of RI activity of late, but today. RM38 was the one and only RI cast member.

 I’d been periodically checking Kaupo Beach Park, from the pier all morning. At 1019 Gayle called to advise that Kawena (RH36) was just hauling out right in front of her. When I panned down, sure enough, there was Kawena, newly arrived. Gayle advised that she had called the Hotline.

 Diane Gabriel called at 1317 to advise that she was just finishing up a shift with RI37 & R5AY in Hauula.

 At 0919 Team Billand checked in to advise that they had found Pohaku (RO28) at Tracks.  Local beach users had put up chairs and tow straps at the accesses to her to keep her from being run over, since the area is a 4WD nightmare.

 At 1205 Team Billand found Kerby (RW08) in Maili.

 Kawena
 Right Spot 
Kerby
 Pohaku
R5AY and RI37  (Mother and Daughter)
 R5AY aka Honey Girl
 RI37 aka Ipo

1 comment:

b said...

I am amazed that Mother and Daughter spend alot of time together at this area. I think its sweet.

Mom R5AY a legendary Female from Kauai, who has so many pups, 10 I think, and is a great mom to all her pups. Sorry she has a history of pups, that have passed away.

Met RI37 years ago at Maili and was thrilled to finally meet her. At the time she was young, and she was a west side girl.

She got pregnant and I had the honor of monitoring her travels. But one day, Rob and I found her not well. She tried to galumph on shore, it was labored. When she slightly turned I saw why she was not good. She had a huge gash across her ankel area, huge wound, meat showing, some blood dripping. We called Tracy. We sent photos in right away and it was said, she will survive. We watched her daily...seemed it may have been a boat prop accident as it was cut from above the ankle to the under bottom.

We lost sight of her, she made it to Kauai, where she lost her pup. We were saddened for her...the pup died on my sons wedding day. I'll never forget it.

Since then she was never able to have a successful birth, all four or five pups died.

Ipo is a very beautiful female, who we grew to love...and then she disappeared. She no longer comes west side, maybe now and then...but mostly north shore and with mom lately. God bless both extraordinary females. Im glad they are together...but in a spot so near to the road, WOW.