Friday, July 25, 2014

7-25-2014 DB's Dailies:

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0648 I found what will have to be an U/U up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. Though I’m relatively certain that it was Kainoa, I can’t prove it. The animal was gone when I got back to MP at 0958.
 At 0842 Lesley called with a Hotline report from Oliver about Kea just hauling out to the sewer outfall at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 0850 I confirmed the Kea (RN46) ID. I cordoned him off,
and redid the cordon numerous times with the rising tide.

 At 1133 Buster (RV08) joined Kea on the outfall. He would remain until 1142 when he reentered the water, but stayed in the immediate area. At 1200 he would begin moving west, and at 1203 I lost him at the Half Point channel. At 1239 I would relocate to Blowhole in search of Buster, but did not see him again. I returned to Sandy Beach . At 1415 posse member Jeff reported the return of Buster to Kea’s side. I confirmed the Buster (RV08) ID at 1420.

  Gayle advised that Buster was gone at 1741. Kea remains. I left him at dark.
At 0654 Team Billand checked in with the report of R
IP (RR70) & M&M (R020) fronting #1707, White Plains. Thank you to Laurie D, and Laurie F.

 At 1014 the Billands found Benny (RE74) & Pohaku (RO28) at Aki’s Beach. Rachel reported their departure at 1200.

Kea and Buster







1 comment:

barbara said...

Todays seals, just after N47's tag shot are: Pohaku R028 and The Benny RE74 at Aki's Beach in Makaha.

They would depart at noonish per Rachel Diaz and Deb.

Those kids, are the best...kept behind like I asked them to. Got to talking about the seals, they asked lots of great questions. One of which..."HOW COME R028 doesnt want to mate with Benny??" Thats cause she just had a pup, lost lots of weight, is tired and regaining her strength. But Benny isnt giving up...stays with her since July 2nd.

I so appreciate good kids that are very respectable..so, for their reward, I gave each of them photos of monk seals from my collection. They were thrilled, gave me a HUG...I could have cried, then off they went, all Five of them.

M and M came in to Plains with Rip again, in the am, they still have little fights, but stay together alllll day long.

Thanks to Laurie and to Laurie Finley for taking care of the seals so we could check other beaches.

I wonder IF we will ever see Haupu..I think of her every day..look for her, hoping she can move on after losing her precious pup on the 18th of July. Prayers to her...MISS HER.

As we searched the coast line on Leeward side, we can see all the tents going up, for the weekend. Its going to be...crowded. That means, lots of fishing poles will be in the water...hope Our Seals just pass all those HOOKS.