Saturday, July 19, 2014

7-18-2014 DB's Dailies: Sadie,Buster,Kainoa,Pua&U/M@RI, Makaiwi@KPB, RIP, M&M@WP, Aukai@Mokes, Kolohe@Maili Pt, Nihoa@LahiLah

It was wonderful , for a change , not to see Buster at Blowhole to start my day. On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 0832 I discovered why I hadn’t seen Buster. There at the left end of the beach on Rabbit Island I found Sadie (RB12), Buster (RV08) & Kainoa (RN04).

 At 0900 a brief arrival and departure of an U/M to the group, motivated Buster to depart. There was no interaction at all. Buster just didn’t wanna’ play the game. The U/M left shortly thereafter. I saw neither again today, though I was on Buster patrol at Sandy Beach multiple times today, waiting for the other Buster shoe to drop.

 After the males departed that left Sadie & Kainoa (mom & son) on the beach. At 0940 Pau (RF34) hauled out to join them (Mom, son & daugther) !. Pua and Kainoa interacted and with Kainoa in the lead , both entered the water at 0946. They would haul out, together still to rejoin Mom (Sadie) at 1200.

 At 1207 I was taking a break from RI observations, (okay , I was going to da’ john), when I spied a likely looking rock, on the strip of beach between Makai Pier & Kaupo Beach Park. I immediately relocated and found that it was a very plump, Makaiwi (R4DF). I put up signs on the approaches to her and monitored her the rest of the day. Makaiwi was gone on my 1745 recheck.

 At 0757 Team Billand reported RIP (RR70) & M&M fronting Tower#2 at White Plains.

 At 1003 Amarissa (DOFAW) called to advise that Aukai (RL12) was on Moku Nui today.

 At 1125 Team Billand reported Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Point.

 At 1427 they reported Nihoa (R912) at LahiLahi Beach, Makaha.

 Sadie Kainoa and Pua
 Maka'iwi hanging out with DB
 nice to have her on the eastside.... who knows i might have to escape for an hour this weekend and see if I can sneak a visit.
Kolohe at Maili Point
 Nihoa R912
 Rip and MM
 these two are pretty comfortable together.... nice photo angle. 

4 comments:

madhatter said...

Oh no I just read that a shark was sighted on Maili Beach Park and it was feeding on a monk seal I so hope this is not the case could you please let me know if you find any information about this I will be keeping my fingers crossed and pray this is not true.

barbara said...

Spoke to the lifeguard, there was a sighting of a school of fish off shore Maili Beach. Then a seal appeared, and a huge shark also showed up. There was a lot of splashing going on, the seal darted off towards land, the shark going back and forth just 10 feet off shore. The seal turned and then...it was over...the seal wasnt seen after that.

We did a search up and down the coast line looking for any signs of a seal carcass...nothing found.

We did run into Kolohe, snoozing on the rocks, and he was ok.

The beach at Maili was closed, no one to enter the waters as the shark was aggresive. We stopped looking by 6:15pm.Lifeguards were still at the beach. I think tomorrow the beach may be reopened after a search of the water.

Where did YOU HEAR THIS? Was it on the news?

Lets keep our prayers going...hoping our seal made a get a way.

madhatter said...

Yes it was on KHON 2 news from last night, when I started reading your response I thought you were going to say that it was just a school of fish and not a monk seal so hopefully the shark just got the fish. I don't know how fast a shark can swim but I have seen a monk seal hauling butt before in the water. I sure hope he got away!
Thank you for responding back so soon I was worried.

Donna said...

WOW.... I have to watch the news a little more often! Thanks for the follow-up Barb.