Tuesday, July 1, 2014

7-1-2014 DB's Dailies:BG&KBP, Sadie,Pua&Aukai@RI, Kolohe@SC, Kaiwi@SC

At 0647 I found an U/U doing 7 minute dives at Blowhole. My first thought is always Buster, however that might not be the case today, based on a later find at SC. This animal was gone on my 2nd check. 

At 0759 I found BG (R303) out on the rocks at Kaupo Beach Park. I’d last seen her there, at basically the same location on 4-16-14. She would depart of her own volition at 1108.

 At 0822 Gayle called with the report of an animal at Spitting Cave. When I got there at 0916 we determined that it was Kolohe (RW22) by his right side natural bleach. Gayle managed to get a shot of it. My thought was that he might well have been the Blowhole animal but ??????

 I got to my Rabbit Island observations at 1024. I found Sadie (RB12), once again at the far left end of the beach, near the water line. I also noted 2 partially visible animals playing in the shallows fronting Sadie. They would haul out to the left rock flats at 1120 where I would make the Pua (RF34) & Aukai (RL12) ID.  Pua would reenter the water at 1228 and return to the shallows fronting Sadie (mom). She made moves to get close to her, but each time Sadie snorted she would hurriedly return to the water.
When Sadie had enough of the annoyance she moved up, but Pua followed, maintaining a safe distance. They were still there at the end of the observation period.

 At 1050 Gayle called with the report of Kaiwi (RK96) at China Walls.

 I’ve gotten no other info for the rest of Oahu so far today.

BG... another pretty shot...
  nice to have you in the neighborhood BG
 Pua and Aukai
Pua and Sadie
 Kaiwi in the green 
  Kolohe at spitting cave

No comments: