Wednesday, March 13, 2013

3-13-2013 Sadie&Pup,Nani,Mojo&Buster@RI, Kaiwi@SC&LL, Duke@SC, KC@Hauula


At 0657 my day got off to a wonderful start when I spied Sadie (RB12) in the company of a small black thing beside her. Yes... today was the day. Sadie pupped at the Waimanalo end of Rabbit Island. Most of the day was spent behind the numerous rocks, but they fortunately moved up into view in the afternoon. The photos leave much to be desired, but proof is proof.

Also at 0657 I found what would prove to be Mojo (RI17) just right of 1BS on RI. He would relocate to 3BS at 1004.

Once again at 0657 I found two animals, 50 ft right of 3BS. They would prove to be Buster (RV08) and Nani (RK60). They would be joined by Mojo at 1004. Buster would depart at 1303.
At 0755 I found Kaiwi (RK96) doing 5 minute dives at Spitting Cave. Zeeny would call at 1057 to advise that Kaiwi was now at Lanai Lookout.

At 1205 Gayle called to advise that she had a U/U at Spitting Cave, with an unreadable bleach mark. When I arrived at 1300 the animal had departed, however Gayles photos did the trick. When I checked them against my photo database I discovered that Duke (RA12) is back on Oahu. His N18 bleach was the key. He has been in Diane Pikes care on Molokai since 12-12-12. It's wonderful to have the boy back home.

Did Team Billand take the day off, because I find it hard to beleive there were no critters roaming the west side? 
Dana called at 1257 to advise that KC (RK28) was in Hauula today. The ID was by her N14 bleach.

 Oh sadie sadie !!!  You made so many of us sooooo happy today. whew! 
 Sadie is my first official youngest grown up to be a Mom.... Although I didn't see her when she was born I did first saw her when she was not even a year old.  Now she all grown up and a Momma!   I can only imagine how proud Papa DB is feeling.
 Buster, Nani and Mojo !!!
 Look Duke is back home !
 Kaiwi at Lanai Lookout
 Kaiwi swimming at spitting cave

3 comments:

barbara said...

We had things to do, but, we did our early morning search and found nothing.

There were THREE critters we missed yesterday. One was at Maili Cove near St Johns Road. It was in front of the Beach Front, near the pool.

I couldnt make the call, so I called Debbie and god bless her heart, she took care of a U/U for us. It was a smaller animal according to Deb, with one red tag. No scars seen. Thanks Deb for guarding the U/U. I tried to make it out there, but the animal left 30 min. before I got there. And thanks to the Management and Deb for making the perimeter.

Then as we passed Maili Pt, there was a critter there, but, MY SISTER WOULDNT STOP TO MAKE THE ID.

And...yet there was a critter at 1706 Plains as well...by time we made it out there..THE CRITTER HAD LEFT!!!

I feel so sad we never got to these animals in time..I'm sorry.

Now for a brighter note: Congratulations Sadie, on making it out to R.I....Oh what joy that must have been to come upon in the morning...a pup. DB...thank god you were out there to find this treasure. Glad it worked out ok. Good thing the Jerks from the other day didnt run off Sadie..maybe she knew, it was time.

And..yesterday was my Daughters birthday...that lucky girl got a seal born on her DAY!!! Now we can remember...3/13/13. Cool.

You can bet we will be out there looking really hard for the critters we missed YESTERDAY...some thing I feel really bad about...but, such is life, it's DONE..I got to move on and look forward. But it really hurts..missing three Critically endangered mammals.

Anonymous said...

there was one on Waikiki beach in front of the Hale Koa all afternoon on 13 March. I have not been able to find mention of that doing a Google search.

Donna said...

Aloha ANON

The seal in Waikiki was reported on Tuesday... that would be Rocky RH58.
She is often seen in Waikiki or Diamond Head.

Hope this helps solve your mystery.
Da blog Lady