Saturday, February 23, 2013

2-22-2013 DB's Dailies:Kaiwi&Kolohe@RI, RA36@SB, Pohaku@Secrets, Benny@PC, UU@Malaekahana, R912@GR, Noa@ Maili Pt, Irma&Rocky@IRQ, T21M@EB


At 0718 I found Kaiwi (RK96) snoozin' at the base of the cliff at the back of Rocky Right Beach, on Rabbit Island.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0953 I found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22), partially visible behind the water front rocks of RRB. He would later move up, and Kaiwi would move down and both spent the day snoozin' together at mid RRB. They remained all day.

At 1305 I got a Dera call, reporting an animal at the east end of Sandy Beach. My initial thought was, of course (Ho..Hum..... Buster ). When I arrived at 1315 , to my shock and awe I found RA36, the little 3 yr. old that has been reported at KP and the west side. Lo and behold the little dude was right there in front of me , amongst the sewer outfall rocks at SB (Alice's). 
Incidently.....Alice... the callers, Martine & Lloyd say Hi !! He had last been seen by Lesley on 2-15-13 at Turtle Bay. Clockwise circle island tour ??????????? I picked up the rope at 1900. RA36 remains.

I called the office and Tracy came out and did an N17 bleach on his mid body , right side. I have no intention whatsoever of checking with the NOAA's cultural police before stating that this little dude shall henceforth be called "LIN". His name is right there for all to see, and I'm sure we'll get "LIN" calls from this day forward. As Yul once said (Ten Commandments)..... "So let it be written...so let it be done ". Well I know DB, and he will call the critter by what name he sees fit. BUT I do feel obligated to say (because it was just posted a few days ago when Lesley spotted him at Ka'ena Point).  This little dude was named by the folks over on Kauai "Mahalo Eha"  This post tells a little of his history.
NOW, having said that I know these critters travel between islands, so it's not uncommon for a seal to have a different name depending on where they are, but since the volunteers on Kauai sent me the information about RA36, I respectfully want to share.

At 1034 Team Billand reported what would prove to be Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets.

At 1102 Dera called to advise that an animal had been reported at Malaekahana both yesterday and today. Tatiana attempted a response but the horrendous rain up there made that an impossible task. My dollar is on R5AY but ??????????

At 1148 Team Billand reported R912 at Guard Rails, Maili.
At 1212 they found Noa (R6FI) at Maili Point.
At 1300 the Billands called again with the report of Benny (RE74) a Paradise Cove.
At 1546 Team Billand called with the report of both Rocky (RH58) and Irma (R010) at Iroquois Point. Rocky was down at the Edgewater cove, and Irma was at the cabanas, right in the middle of an ongoing wedding.
Also at that time they saw an animal behind the Shooting Range, between IRQ and Ewa Beach. At 1634 they confirmed the T21M ID.
At 1710 the Billands reported Kermit (R012) at Kermit's Reef, plus they advised that they were responding to another call about an animal with R912 at Guard Rails.
At 1749 they found RO18 at Guard Rails. He had last been seen on Kauai on 9-18-12 , and the last Oahu sighting was on 5-13-12 by the Billands.

 RA36 @ Sandy's received a bleach number N17 
 Is that Alice???? oh no she doesn't live here anymore .... booo!
 
 N17 - not suitable for children ... (sorry couldn't resist)
Benny
 apparently Benny doesn't feel the need to bark at turtles... hmm maybe he get's along better outside his species
Noa  
R912 
 Pohaku looking like large marge... okay big momma get your fins in gear and head off to a safe place to pop your pup... because this ISN'T the place for you.
 Irma and Rocky.... two ol' gals meeting up for lunch
 oh my miss Irma
 yes miss rocky... oh my my
Kermit out at kermit's reef
R018 first seen on Kauai as a sub-adult back in 2005
 wonder where he's been?  
 T21M - this dude is getting up there in age. He was first identified as an ADULT in 1987 on the NWHI.
 wish he could tell us some stories.... from the last 26 years

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna is absolutely correct about RA36 already being named by the Kauai folks. I take it all back. When Tracy finished the upside down N17, we were sure there would be "LIN" calls in our future.

On another note, my fingers mistakenly credited the Billands with some photos of Pohaku that were in fact from Laurie Finley. Sorry! DB

Alice said...

Wow, DB, what an exciting find for you at "my" beach! It's beginning to become quite popular among the critters.....I'm so happy. It's a beautiful spot. Oh and please tell Martine and Lloyd I said hello also.
Donna, I may not live there physically anymore but I will always live in Hawaii in my heart. I also live there for a few minutes every morning when I read Da Blog! Love you guys....keep up the good work :)