Thursday, February 21, 2013

2-20-2013 DB's Dailies Kaiwi,Kolohe&Buster@RI, KC@Bellows,Kermit@KR, Pohaku,Benny&Noa@Secrets, Ka'ena@KP, R912@GR


At 0715 I found what would later prove to be Kaiwi (RK96) tucked into the base of the cliff, at Rocky Right Beach, Rabbit Island. She would later move down to cool off, and remained all day.

I decided to make a run to Lanikai at 0730 to see if I could actually see the beach at the Mokes, and try to find a critter (Sadie ) there. Morning glare sucked, and and I found nobody. It was inconclusive results at best, but on the bright side I did get to spend a few seconds in the Lanikai General Store with Diga !!  :-( I can't believe I missed you !! Who would have thunk it????  Well at least you know where to find, Diga, or Gayle... on any given' morning. I hope I have the honor of your company again.... BUT no today KC at to be a scene stealer .
The reason it was only a few seconds is because Dera called at 0830 to advise of an animal at Bellows AFS. When I arrived at 0904 I found KC (RK28), snoozin' amongst the Ironwoods, with a few $5.00 Foot Longs under her belt (ooops... nope make that $6.00... 11 inchers )behind the Subway shop at Bellows. Much Mahalos to Knute Dao, for the call, and the Bellows APs for an outstanding cordon job. NOAA's Mark Sullivan would later get a new "N14" bleach on KC's left side , mid body.

I remarked at the time that this was the first ever reported haul out at Bellows. Knute said no, there had been another a few years ago. Checking with Dera, and looking up the old data, I oh so sadly recalled that the other incident had not been a haul out at all, but instead was a finding of the body of Mikala (RA14), M&M's 9 month old Rabbit Island daugther,of 2009 killed in a Lay Net at Bellows on 4-13-10.

Dana called at 0820 to advise that Colleen was responding to the report of Irma (R010) at 2E in Waikiki. I've had no further reports but I know that a lot of lonnnnng hours were put in by a few really good people so Thank You...... Very Much !! Stephen called to advise that Irma had departed at 1840. Diga left the store this morning and headed for Waikiki

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1026 I found Kolohe (RW22) snoozin' in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS,on RI. He would later galumph down to the water line, where he remained the rest of the day.

After a mid day reheck of the SE quadrant I returned to the pier, at 1425, only to find that, once again Buster (RV08) had hauled out to 1BS on Rabbit Island, in my absense. He has been doing that a lot lately.

Team Billand reported Kermit (R012) foraging in the Nimitz jetty area at 0810. He was never observed to haul out, and on their last sighting at 1635 her was still foraging and heading in a westerly direction.

At 0819 the Billands called with the report of Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets. At 1043 they would call again to advise that Laurie had the haul out of two more animals, which would prove to be Benny (RE74) and Noa (R6FI). Sadly, Laurie would have to deal with what sounded like a world class a**hole , requiring KoOlina security, as well as HPD responses. Each and everyone of you who has spent time on the line, knows the feeling of being on the front line of the "war" with no ammo and no cavalry coming. It SUCKS, and sadly, I see no hope for any change. We are surrounded by them !!! Hang in there guys, for as long as you can. Without YOU there is absolutely no hope for these critters.
Dana called at 1750 from Secrets to advise that though Benny had entered the water, he had now hauled out again, outside of his established perimeter, and she was trying to reestablish an SPZ, amongst the "adoring hordes".

At 1034 Zeeny called from Ka'ena Point to advise that she had found Ka'ena (RO40) at the end of the world.

At 1520 she would call again to report R912 at Guard Rails Beach, in Maili.

 KC looking mighty big.... she even has dimples ( not really but I couldn't resist)... 
 Thank you !!! 
 KC now bleached with N14
 Colleen you've out done yourself!  Irma you sure know how to make an entrance
 Kermit on his way in
 Benny boy
 Interesting angle he actual looks like a little puppy
 Pohaku 
 
R912
 rock paper seal ! 
 curly Q Benny's whiskers
 Noa
 Pohaku & Noa
 Pohaku, Noa and Benny 

2 comments:

barbara said...

I want to speak out to Laurie F. for being at KoOlina with THREE SEALS. One pregnant female..POHAKU the mascot for KoOlina. There was THE BENNY and THE YOUNG NOA who looks up to Uncle Benny.

Well Laurie was taking care of Pohaku after we left, then the two other males arrived unexpectedly. She called to say now she had three animals.

She called again to say there was an asshole at site, she was trying to deal with three seals, the guy, people control...thats alot to handle for one volunteer.

In the end, Miss Laurie F. was my HERO...security was called out, they came, found the guy, cops talked to him also.

BUT...HE GOT AWAY. Laurie had to deal with the jerk...ALONE...but there were also a few witnesses to stand up for her. Thanks to the individuals Ed and wife...you are most appreciated.

To Laurie, we know you stood up for the seals, for yourself...we commend your work and bravery.

To be in the front line of things is the pits...no one stands up for you...Laurie did all she could..two seals left Noa following Miss Pohaku...THE BENNY, THE PIMP, stayed to enjoy his stay on shore...thanks to Laurie.

I am very sorry for what you had to deal with...but ya done good. We are very proud of Miss Laurie and we are so thrilled she is on the team with us.

Hope you had a good rest Laurie after all the commotion. Hope you will continue your work with the seals as THEY NEED YOU and WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

Also a big thanks to Miss Linda S. for coming out to man the site as well. I dont know what we would do without this woman. She is the sweetest volunteer,smart. Another much needed indiviual who will defend Miss Pohaku almost...DAILY.

Secrets and Paradise Cove .... the locations for Pohaku..poor thing..she is harassed ALL THE TIME. Most folks are really respectful but now and then, there are some idiots who give us a hard time...bah!!!!!!!

To the posse who call...THANK YOU!!! We all need to help POHAKU..she needs her rest!

Laurie said...

Thanks Barbara, Robert, Linda, Ed & Lynne(the nice couple that stood up with me)and the other tourists that were there to witness the guy with the dirty mouth. I never felt afraid, still don't. He was wrong, knew he was wrong and didn't like to be called out for it. Walked into the enclosure, I asked him to get out...3x's. He verbally attacked me, called me names and was just an awesome ray of sunshine. ;) People like that are helping me to stand up for myself and it makes me want to be out there with the seals more. I know I'll probably meet more and more like him as the days/weeks/months/years go by, but I know I can handle it and I have a great team behind me to make sure I'm cared for too. Thanks again to everyone, including Dana for calling to be sure I was okay and for coming out to take over for Linda later on in the evening. Please know I'm not done and I want to continue this journey, so please keep calling me. ;)