Friday, May 1, 2009

DB Post Friday 5/1/2009

It was yet another day in the Kermit Quest Saga. Though I began the SW quadrant checks at 0611, it was not until 0920 that I first saw Kermit on the east side of the Nimitz Beach jetty. He stayed just 5 minutes or so , and then began moving out and to the east.

I began checking all the usual stops and as I walked from the west perimeter White Plains fence, I could see that there was an animal on the main beach at White Plains at 1050. Lifeguard Sara called at 1052 to report that Irma had hauled out at 1040, and had been duly cordoned off. I relocated to the main beach, and at 1132 here came Kermit, just 10 ft off shore. He moved to Irma's location and hung around there for several minutes, making only one , half-hearted haul out attempt. At 1156 he swam off, in the shallows in a westerly direction. Though I moved off in that direction also, it was the last time that I would see Kermit today.

Part of the pro crew was off island, and the rest were busy with pre departure duties, so Chad said a response would be diffficult, no matter what happened, so I decided to depart White Plains at 1500.

I had the opportunity to actually look at Rabbit Island at 1600, for the first time in 9 days. I found pregnant female, M&M on the beach at 1BS, and to my total shock found Benny at the far left end of the beach. He has begun his molt. His ventral neck is bare, and the upper chest is patchy. He had last been seen at Campbell Industrial Park on 4-23-09. Since I hadn't looked in 9 days, I have no idea when he may have arrived.

At 1725 , Ewa Beach posse member Mary Jay, called with the report of an animal in Ewa Beach, fronting 91-277. Though she could not confirm the ID due to sand, she could confirm a new coat. Though it will have to be logged as an U/U, there is no doubt in my mind that it is a probable 4DJ, since I saw him near that location yesterday
Irma
Irma & Kermit




M&M
Benny

No comments: