Friday, May 29, 2009

DB Post Thursday 5/28/2009

It was a nearly impossible day for Rabbit Island observations, with poor to white out visibility. On my first look at 0706 the rain hadn't kicked in yet so I was able to see M38 at the right end of the beach, and Ewa Girl & Pup swimming at the left end of the island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1208, it was pouring . I got a brief look at Ewa Girl&Pup on the beach in snooze mode, but by 1330, it was zero visibility, so I called it quits.

I spent the morning once again making the SW quadrant run. Since I have zero faith in DOCARE, I wanted to investigate the gill net site at Hau Bush, Ewa Beaqch. DOCARE personnel had done a search late yesterday, and got out of the water at 1700 reporting that they had found nothing. When I arrived at the same location where I'd seen the net yesterday, I once again saw the same net, in the same exact location. I called DOCARE to advise them of this fact, and I have also emailed Earl Miyamoto at DAR. I was told that DOCARE people would check again today. As I said...........I have no faith.

While in the area I checked everything from White Plains to the Nimitz jetty, but found nobody.

The Billands called at 1022 with the report of Irma at Maili Point, and reported in again at 1103 with 2AW at Tracks.

Colleen Heyer reported in at 1106 with Rocky on her small private island fronting Jim Nabor's house at Black Point, Diamond Head. At last the Monk Seal Posse has what it has always needed......A Navy !! Capn' Colleen has a new DH patrol vehicle. The heck with that walkin' .

Tracy checked in today with news that Lona (R017) had pupped yesterday at Kalaupapa, Molokai. Hopefully Lona has emailed R5AY and KC to tell them what a great spot it is.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

buteexpaI think DB's shot of his umbrella shows his dedication to the monk seals. He sits out there 7 days a week, spying on the kids, giving us what a seals life is, every single day. What dedication, persistence and loyalty. And for Colleen to get a Kayak? Awesome! Now ya can keep a better eye on the seals, how cool is that? Plus you'll be fit!! Thanks guys for all you do for the Hawaiian Monk Seals. Hey Colleen, what do you call your Kayak? ROCKY??? He.He.