Friday, May 8, 2009

DB Post Thursday 5/7/2009

It was a busy little day in the Monk Seal world. I left you hanging with yesterday's sighting of an unnamed pregnant female. Today I can say that Ewa Girl and her pup, born overnight are happy and well at Rabbit Island. She was last sighted at Campbell Industrial Park on 3-29-09. She then dropped off the face of the earth. I had written her off as probably having gone to Niihau or something. When I saw her yesterday at RI, I knew in my little, bald heart that I was going to see a pup this morning, which is why I was at Makai Pier at 0635. Sure enough, we have this season's first Oahu pup !! They both remained at the left end of the beach all day. They moved down close to the water and got wet, but never actually entered the water. There were lots of feeds.

Mom and pup would share Rabbit Island with several others. I found Benny still molting, Buster, RIP, R301 and M38. RIP would make one attempt to haul out and check out the new kid, but Ewa Girl quickly changed his mind.

Thea called at 0739 with the report of an animal at Queen's in Waikiki. It would prove to be Kermit, D#3. The other volunteers covered the situation, which I deeply appreciate so I could keep an eye of the kid for the day.

Thea called again at 0949 with the report of an animal at the Black Point end of Diamond Head. Since ace DH posse person , Colleen was covering Kermit, I took the run. When I arrived at 1027 I found that Rocky has returned to her Diamond Head home. A later call at 1748 from Brenda , reporting an animal near Cromwell's at Diamond Head, was no doubt Rocky again.

Team Billand had an interesting day also. The reported 2AW at Maili Point, Irma at Nimitz Beach, and most surprising reported 4DH at Hickam AFB.

When I found out that Kermit was showing no interest whatsoever in departing Waikiki, my wife and I went to do night duty. I had a plan for a 2200 departure, but the plan was not required. At 2155 the Beach Zamboni, or whatever you call that thing that cleans the beaches, drove by on the sidewalk above Kermit and with two roaring engines, Kermit had definitely had enough for one day. He departed at 2200.

Rocky
Rocky

1 comment:

Barbara said...

We woke up to find the new pup from Ewa Girl. Oh how precious a sight to see,especially with all the things happening to the monk seals lately with hookings. It made me feel so joyful, hopeful!!! I just sat there gazing at DB's photos. Thanks DB, you have made our morning, DELIGHTFUL!! You are truly a lucky man to be able to witness all these beautiful things that occur on your Island. You are a treasure to have in the monk seal world...you share what you see. Thank you from our hearts. And so, is it a boy or GIRL?? I know I know, not known just yet. We'll be waiting for that report and more pics of the NEW TREASURE, for all sealians to enjoy. Excuse me, I have to yell now.....YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!Ok, I'm so much better now.