Thursday, May 28, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 5/27/2009

The Rabbit Island cast for today was Ewa Girl& Pup (D#20), Buster, M38, and Kolohe. Both Buster and M38 would run afoul of Ewa Girl in the afternoon, and she registered her displeasure. I did not see them again after that. Kolohe spent the day at 2BS, all by himself, no doubt hiding from the older males.

I decided to do a Southwest Quadrant run, and my first stop was Oneula Beach Park (Ewa Beach). I confirmed the presence of the unattended Gill Net, 100 yds or so to the east of the beach park. Multiple conversation with DOCARE personnel confirmed that they would be removing the net today. A 1608 conversation with Wes Munday (DOCARE) confirmed that they were getting ready to enter the water. As of 1700 DOCARE had exited the water and found no net.

I checked all spots from Ewa Beach to Nimitz Beach, and found only Irma on the off shore reef at Wind Sock, Kalaeloa, at 1035. A witness (Kathy, with a K) said she'd hauled out at 0945. Dumping rain ended my SWQ experience, and I returned to civilization at 1234. They rest of the day was spent at Makai Pier with the RI crew







No comments: