Friday, May 29, 2009

DB Post Friday 5/29/2009

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0650 this morning I found Ewa Girl & pup doing a swim off shore of the left end of the island. I did not get back to Makai Pier until 1410, but found them in the water again , in the same location. They hauled out at 1517, and began a feed at 1519. They were in snooze mode when I departed at 1530.

It seemed that I spent most of day stuck in accident traffic both going and coming to and from the Southwest quadrant, again today. I decided to make the run for the 3rd consecutive day, because of my call to DOCARE dispatch at 0826. The dispatcher advised that DOCARE personnel had checked for the Hau Bush gill net late yesterday and found nothing. Since I'd heard THAT before, I decided to check for myself. I'm very happy to report that upon my arrival at 0939, I too found nothing. The good news is that the net was gone. The bad news is that it had nothing to do with the good guys. The bad guys simply picked it up. Another episode is almost certainly guaranteed. For the moment , however, I'm happy just to have a day without stressing.

While in the SW quadrant I checked everything from Hau Bush to Nimitz jetty , and found nothing. The Billands also reported zero critters on the West side.

Colleen Heyer called at 1129 to report Rocky, once again on "Rocky Island", fronting the Nabor's house at Black Point, Diamond Head. Rocky would depart in the late afternoon with the rising tide.

In case anyone hasn't seen today's Garden Island News from Kauai, you might want to read this article from today's edition.
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2009/05/29/news/kauai_news/doc4a1f9d85eac35521661169.txt

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Wow! Check out Colleen!! Ya remind me of Crockadial Hunter, Steve Irwin. That is so cool to be able to search and find monk seals with your awesome Kayak!! So, got a spare lying about your house, a Kayak that is. He.He. And so, are you going to name your new ride? Oh and Rocky looks cool with you in the shot. Nice to see a monk seal in peace, basking in a place, not being disturbed. As Steve Irwin would say...She's A Beaut!