Friday, May 22, 2009

Advertiser Article on Kauai Seal Death

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090522/NEWS0102/905220346

Indeed a very sad day in the Hawaiian Monk Seal world. Personally I feel sick to my stomach... such mixed emotions of sadness and anger. I know the "authorities" are investigating and looking into this matter and I will respect that.

It is just BEYOND my comprehension that someone would purposely harm one of these animals, and to use a gun? Is that why people carry guns, to shoot seals? It would be really easy to turn this into a rant session.... but I think we need to take a deep breath... and stay updated on the progress of this investigation. I also think that the State Officials NEED to do a better job protecting these animals and enforcing the penalties.... A law is one thing, but if it isn't enforced and the public made aware then they mean nothing.

So perhaps we can think of a logical productive way to bring this to attention of the powers that be.. we are serious... I mean hell the district attorney is prosecuting a woman for beating a peacock... and they're not endangered... is there something wrong with this? ( the peacock story is equally upsetting)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I have been saying for a while, the laws are not strict enough when it comes to monk seal harrassment, illegal netting, landing on Rabbit Island, etc. And now look, a horrible tragic event, a shooting of an innocent BASKING SEAL!! THis is truly an ugly story which upsets my soul. Fines are not good enough, the problems still exist...BOOK EM, JAIL TERMS!! Something has to be more powerful to reach these fricken morans!!! Sometimes I wish the military could help out, they got the men with balls to do something! And maybe if the media IS BROUGHT in, they too can spread the word......Leave the seals alone or ELSE!!! Words can not describe how sick I feel reading the article on THe Kauai Seals DEATH!!! Every month, we all read DB's Dailys, explaining what he sees going on at Rabbit Island. He explains how many of the law breaking jerks get away scot free. We read in the blog, seals run off beach. We have had three seals hooked. Seals caught in nets and drowned. And now the worst has happened...an endangered monk seal shot to death on Kauai...a FEMALE SEAL!!!!! What do we do now??? Who will fight, who will see to it these evil jerks get what they deserve?? I'm just a volunteer who cares for all monk seals, they're safety, they're existence. We can not turn the other cheek any more as if it will go away!!!!! HELP US!!! HELP THESE PRECIOUS SEALS. Please think of ways, please!!!! My heart goes out to all Kauai Volunteers, Vets, authorities. I wish I had a solution, but I dont. Think hard NOAA, think hard legislators and other officials. Monk Seals deserve to have a LIFE!!! It's TIME TO DO SOMETHING NOW, NOT NEXT WEEK, NOT NEXT MONTH!!! NOW!!!!!!!

Jennifer said...

I just got back from talking with the girls from Greece about all of their recent losses- thinking well at least we don't have it as bad as them - they have people killing seals with guns! - and now this here in hawaii too? So sad and I can't even imagine the evil inside someone capable of doing this. :-(