Sunday, April 19, 2009

DB Post Sunday 4/19/2009


My day began with finding Irma floating in a tide pool at Kaupo Beach Park (KBP), across from the back entrance to Sea Life Park. I put up signs and did some PR. She spent the day there, and I monitored her from from MP. She was clearly visible from the pier. She was still there on my 1500 check and I will return at dusk.

It was a long hard day at Rabbit Island with 3 animals and 6 bad guys. The cast would prove to be RIP and R301 at the right end of the beach, and later a smallish U/M hauled out just right of the 3BS. Unfortunately, they would all run afoul of two sets of bad guys.

The first group were two couples who spent 4 hours on the island exploring tip to tip, and in the process first running off RIP and R30l. and when they returned for the right end exploration managed to run off RIP again, as he had hauled out to join the small U/M. I 'm happy to report that this group was busted when they returned to the left side of Makai Pier, by DOCARE Officer Woody.

The 2nd incident involved two kayak fishermen who hauled out at the right end of the beach at around noon, and proceeded to RIP and R301's location where one of the guys through something at them to get them to jump. Jump they did, but did not depart. These two bad guys departed at 1247 and got away clean.

Barbara Billand called to report that she'd been contacted by David Schofield concerning a hooked animal at Ka'ena Pt. Ultimately, Barbara and her male pup, Jason went to KP and confirmed that the animal is Ka'ena, with a hook in his right lower lip. They also reported R018 and T15M at KP.

I rechecked Irma at Kaupo Beach Park at 1850. When I arrived I found about a dozen kids (no parents anywhere) all inside the cordon, and all within 1 to 2 feet of Irma, All were laughing gleefully as she lunged at them. I got them back behind the cordon, and Irma left approximately 5 minutes later at 1900.

I'll forward KP shots when they arrive. Aloha DB
Irma
DOCARE
DOCARE
DOCARE
DOCARE
Ka'ena
Ka'ena
R018
R018
T15M

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Another incident at Rabbit Island occurs. Why this keeps happening is beyond me, people are just plain As#^#*^!!!!!!! When will it stop???? Arent rules made to be honored? Toss them in jail, give em a cold cell,maybe then they will get the message! Can't believe the jerks got away, but great they got the others. Poor seals, and good job DB!!

Laura said...

I still think a hidden wireless speaker system with a voice disguiser so DB can belt out the rumbling voice of God "Get Off My Island!!" might work rather well.

Glad DOCARE got a few of the eejits...why are people like that still breeding? You'd think natural selection would've weeded them out by now.

Dana Jones said...

I could not agree with Laura more or with Barbara. A cold cell in their wet swimsuits. For DAYS ON END. It's not like they aren't warned about the habitat. The people who care the most never would think about invading the habitat. God protects fools, Please GOD protect our seals!!!I pray every night. My heart is broken over the seal in Maui. What did he ever do to die for stealing a few fish that we can get at that market for a few bucks.