Monday, April 20, 2009

DB Post Monday 4/20/2009

On my 3rd pass through Sandy Beach, I found Irma, newly hauled out at the east end, near the palm trees. I got her cordoned off and rechecked her through the day. She was still there on my 1700 check. I'll return at dusk.

My first look at Rabbit Island was a bust, and was still a bust when I got back to Makai Research Pier at 0850. At 1156 the first animal hauled out at the far left end. I was never able to ID this animal except to say that it was a small to medium sized female. No doubt it was either RB08 or more probably Sadie, but I can't state that as fact at all. The lack of visibility and her short stay, made an ID impossible.

At 1205 RIP hauled out to join the U/F, and there was only tentative nose contact, before settling down . On a routine pan at 1220 I found them both entering the water. I did not see either again today.

The very surprising highlight of the day came at 1221 when a huge , untagged animal hauled out at the right end of the beach. It would turn out to be M&M. She had last been seen, by myself near the end of the Coast Guard runway at Nimitz Beach. The Billands have been batting zero out there for the last 4 days. Now at least we know that M&M was on the road.

Immediately behind M&M when she hauled out was R301. They would never interact, and both remained there all day.

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY KERBY !!!!!! Special thanks to Barbara for the reminder....and the cake ! Aloha, DB
Irma
Irma
M&M
R301 & M&M
Unidentified Female & RIP

No comments: