Monday, April 27, 2009

DB Post Monday 4/27/2009

(I guess that APB on kermit has just about everyone and everything looking for him *smiles* )
Thea and called last night at 1900 with the report of an animal "logging" off shore of Beach Rd, at Diamond Head. Of course, and scientific ID is impossible, but there is zero doubt in what remains of mine mind that we are talking Kermit here, based on behavior. It was too dark to respond but I was at Diamond Head at 0530 and found nobody. I then headed off the Waikiki to check Queen's Beach, which is a known Kermit haul out sight, but again I found nothing. While there I got a call from Thea with a report from HPD at 0515 of an animal at Ala Moana Beach Park fronting the Ewa end concession stand. When I arrived I found only a wallow, but I spoke with the surfers who had seen the animal and the cops who had called it in. Neither had any ID info, since it had been dark, and the animal left shortly after being found. I'm told that there may be a single instance of an Ala Moana haul out in the Dark Ages, but there has never been one in the modern era. Once again I can't prove a thing but there is no doubt in mine mind that this is a continuation of the Kermit Saga. After a search of Ala Moana and the off shore waters, I moved to Kakaako Waterfront Park (Point Panic), and walked the waterfront down to Honolulu Harbor. Again , I found nothing. IF this is Kermit, and IF he is moving west as it appears, then the next logical potential haul out spot would be Sand Island so I went there, and spent the bulk of the rest of the day. Once again I struck out. I am very much aware of what a "needle in a haystack" this saga is becoming, but I'm hoping I'll catch up with him soon. Tomorrow ?????

I got back to Makai Pier at 1600, and found that Sadie (RB12), and Kolohe (RW22) were the only two Rabbit Island residents.

Team Billand called at 0814, on their way to the airport to report Irma at White Plains.

Thea called at 1300 to report that there had been an animal at Palm Grove, at CIP, but a witness reported that the animal had been run off by dogs. Shortly thereafter, Barbara Billands sister, Cassie, called to report that there was an animal , just hauling out , approximate 1/4 mile west of the Nimitz Beach jetty. Again, I can't prove a thing, but based on Cassie's limited description and the known users of this two haul out sights, I'd put my dollar on M&M. That is personal opinion only. Aloha, DB

No comments: