Saturday, December 27, 2008

Late DB Post Friday December 26th

Sadie&Mojo@RI, Kermit@SB, Kerby&Benny@KP, 12-26-08
Kermit was still on the beach at Crappy Cove, when I left last night at 1845. I found him waiting for me at 0600. I have no doubt that he overnighted for the 2nd consecutive night. He started high on the beach, and I cordoned him off. At 1050 I had to adjust the cordon with his move down to the water line. I came back at 1300, and to my shock, found that he had not only moved up, but had moved to just outside the rope line, with 3 tour vans on the sight. I managed to get everthing adjusted, and the people were pretty good about maintaining distance while I freaked out, getting everything moved. He was still there on my 1500 check. I'll return at dusk. Just in case you haven't been keeping track, this was Kermit's 15th consecutive day at Sandy Beach. He had gone out to feed on most nights but there have been several overnighters also.

At 0725 I found what would prove to be Sadie at 3BS on Rabbit Island. She began the day up in the Morning Glory but moved down to the water line to cool off at 1130, then back up into the Morning Glory at 1226.

Also at 1130 I found what would prove to be Mojo at the left end of the island. He would remain there all day.

Team Billand went above and beyond, in the rain to make the trek to Ka'ena Point, and at 0930 reported Kerby, and Benny.










1 comment:

Barbara said...

Since finding Kerby in Oct., he has learned the route of the seal inlet. But..as he tried to climb up further, the kiawe tree logs and debri held him back. He just gave up the struggle and lay there to sleep. He is so beautiful and very chubby!!! And good ole Benny was not too far from Kerby, sleeping in the nopaka bushes. The rain held up to pass that cliff climb. Phew. The albatross, shearwaters and Humpback whales were busy out there..so cool. I so love Kaena Pt.