Wednesday, December 10, 2008

DB Post Wednesday December 10th

Kolohe,M&M,Mojo&Kermit@RI, Buster@SC, 12-10-08
It was a miserable , wet, windy day out there........perfect Monk Seal weather ! Today's Rabbit Island cast was a nearly rotted Kermit (D#9, 90%), M&M,and Mojo, all together in a large depression , up amongst the Morning Glory, 20 ft right of 3BS. I'd seen them from from 1st vantage point at the Makapuu Overview. When I got down to the pier, I found that Kolohe was also there. I found him in the process of galumphing between the legs of the 3rd Blue Sign (3BS), and moving up beyond the sign approximately 10 ft. I have never before seen any animal move that far up the slope. When I got back to the the pier at 0930 I found that he had moved back down to a spot 10 ft below the sign, where he spent the rest of the observation period. The other three, all began stirring at 1100, and all began moving down to near the water line to cool off at 1130.

When I arrived at Spitting Cave at 0755 I found what would prove to be Buster doing 8 minute dives.

For the first time in a very long time, the Billands certified the SW quadrant Monk Seal free, as of 0900 . Aloha, DB

1 comment:

Dana Jones said...

Last night was my last evening with KP2. He slept the whole time I was there until dry relief came with Gordon around 7:30PM. I said my goodbyes, which of course were silent ones.

I said a prayer to Kanaloa, God, and any Great Spirit out there that would listen, to take KP2 into their care and give him a long and happy life.What an experience we have all had in working with such great people. Thank you NOAA and Marine people for trusting all the volunteers with the care of this very lucky pup. We will miss you KP2. Have a beautiful life.

Dana