Wednesday, December 24, 2008

DB Post Wednesday December 24th

RB08,Sadie,R301&Kolohe@RI, Kermit@SB, Irma&Benny@WP, 12-24-08
It was a busy little Monk Seal day out there. The Rabbit Island cast began as RB08 at the left end, and R301 at the 3BS. When I got back to the pier later, I found that the cast had grown to include, Sadie at 1BS, and Kolohe up in the vegetation way down at the right end of the beach. I was especially stoked to have RB08 and Sadie there at the same time. It rarely happens. Since they are basically twins, I have learned to tell them apart, but it's comforting to know that no matter what , I'm correct on the ID's when they are both there.

On my first 5 passes of Sandy Beach and Crappy Cove, I found nothing. Since Kermit had done an 1130 haul out just the other day, I was very much attuned to that possibility, and my Monachus Gene was pumpin' out Whisperer hormones big time. The instant I got the ID's on RB08 and R301 (1131), I scurried off to Crappy Cove, arriving at 1140. Sure enough therrrrrrrrrre was Kermit. Witnesses said he had just hauled out at 1130. I got him cordoned off, and on my 1500 check he ws snoozin' away. I'll return at dusk.

The Billands report Irma at White Plains at 0820. They called at 1118 to report that Gretchen had called them about a new arrival there. The animal had hauled out within the cordon , and was interacting with Irma. I called the White Plains lifeguards and they said they thought it was Benny. The Billands confirmed the Benny ID at 1242.













No comments: