Thursday, December 4, 2008

DB Post Thursday December 4th

Sadie,Benny,RIP&Buster@RI, Benny@SC&HB, Irma@WP, U/M@CIP, 12-4-08
My first pass of the SE quadrant was a bust until I got to Spitting Cave, at 0831, where I found Benny doing 8 minute dives. I'm sure my buzz killer scientific associates won't allow today's sighting to confirm that yesterday's Rabbit Island animal was in fact Benny, but we here at the BNS (Bald Naturalist's Society) think it meets the "Duh???" criterium ,and have no problem at all seeing the connect.
When I got back to Makai Pier at 1034 I found Buster at 3BS, and at 1036 RIP hauled out to join his little brother . RIP did some nuisance nuzzling, but calmed down quickly, and both animals remained there the rest of the day.
At 1150 Hanauma Bay posse member Ann, called to report that an animal was swimming inside the reef, having entered from the "Backdoor Channel", and swam close to the beach, weaving it's way through lots of greasy people, and departing from the "Keyhole", at 1200. When I arrived at 1230 I spoke with several witnesses, and looked at lots of video and stills taken on the beach. No doubt about it.... It was either the Loch Ness Monster or Benny. The evidence all sucked horribly, but I think I could make out Benny's brown color and fat head. I said on the beach, that I thougt Benny would probably haul out to Rabbit Island in a couple of hours.
After rechecking Spitting Cave, and finding that Benny was no longer there, I returned to the pier, and sure enough at 1429 , Benny hauled out to Rabbit Island.
At 1349 Sadie hauled out at 1BS, and Benny hauled out to join her there. At 1444 Benny entered the water, and Sadie quickly followed, They hauled out again at 1505 with Sadie in the lead. They both remained there the rest of the day.
David Schofield an several of the Recovery Team folks stopped by the pier from 1530 to 1630, to look at RI critters.
The Billands reported Irma at WP at 0716, and responded to a Hotline call at 1653 for an animal at Germaine's Luau Grounds at CIP. The called at 1807 to say they had an U/M there. I am awaiting further evidence at this writing.

No comments: