Tuesday, December 18, 2012

12-17-2012 Kaiwi&M38@RI, Buster@SB, M&M@WP, Ka'ena,Benny,Kerby,RK36&R912@KP


Well... so much for my hopes of Buster going to Rabbit Island for his molt. Kimo found the boy by his favorite tree at the east end of Sandy Beach, at 0600. I arrived at 0700 with the light, sure enough it was Buster (RV08). We cordoned him off, and he has had the beach virtually to himself all day. Only short, fat ,bald guys and Monk Seals were on the beach in this kind of windy , rainy weather.

At 0716 I found Kaiwi (RK96) and M38, right where they've been for many days now, up in the grass behind Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island. With the cool weather and rain it wasn't even necessary to move down. It was mid afternoon before either of them moved, galumphing down to mid beach independently.

At 1120 Zeeny checked in from Ka'ena Point. She reported Ka'ena (RO40) and Benny (RE74) together up near the back beach Naupaka, and Kerby (RW08 and RK36 on the front beach. R912 was by herself alittle bit more to the Mokuleia side of the point. It sounded thoroughly miserable at the end of the world.

To my complete shock, I got late afternoon email from Karen Harris, who did the KP trek this afternoon. She reported the same cast as Zeeny, however on her trek Benny had moved to the halfway point on the Waianae side trail. I worship the ground Karen treks on. She is the Original KP adventurer, and single handedly broadened my knowledge of the end of the world at the beginning of my path. Some years ago she tore my heart out by moving off to some place called California.

Team Billand didn't check in until 1311, finally finding an animal though they'd been on it since dark, as usual. They found M&M fronting Tower #2 at White Plains at White Plains.

 Buster hanging out at Sandy's ...  
 He's probably avoiding Rabbit Island with all this pesky kids being there... he needs his rest if he's going to molt.  (of course there is absolutely no truth to this statement, those young'ens aren't pesky at all).
 
MM at white plains.... hmmm what was I suppose to do today? 
 I know it was something important
 Oh ya... rest a girl needs her beauty sleep
 KAREN HARRIS - blast from the past!!!  Good to hear you are back on island (which I assume is just for a visit).  I would be curious on what your thoughts are about how the little community has grown since you were last here.
 Benny beginning his molt
 Ka'ena
 Kerby and EK36
 Beautiful shot.... doesn't get better than that
 Kerby 

1 comment:

barbara said...

We met Karen Harris at Kaena Pt some years ago...YES, SHE IS A LEGENDARY HUMAN.

She took us out to Pt Reyes while we were in San Francisco with the Marine Mammal Center, doing training. THAT WAS A MEMORABLE journey, one I hold dear to my heart.

Karen Harris told us about Kaena, who was born out there at Kaena Pt. She was one of the MOM's who took care of Kaena back then in 2006 I believe. AWESOME.

Any ways, HI KAREN HARRIS, WELCOME BACK HOME...B and R.