Wednesday, December 30, 2020

12/30/2020 (part 2) Marilyn' s Rabbit Island Update

 

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 1:15 to 3:00 pm.  There were originally 3 seals on LPB about 30-50 feet Lanikai side of 1BS.  Then at about 1:25 pm I became aware of another seal coming down from the vegetation. She had been completely hidden earlier.


I'll describe the first 3 seals first and then add the newcomer.  From the Lanikai side there were:

Unknown Adult (UA): adult to subadult size; darker coat, two tags. This seal never showed me its belly so I don't know sex.

Unknown Juvenile Female 1 (UJF1): juvenile size, light yellowish female belly, two tags; no other distinguishing marks.

Unknown Juvenile Female 2 (UJF2): juvenile to subadult size, light gray female belly and two tags; no other distinguishing marks.

The newcomer was

RK37 - juvenile to subadult size, darker yellow female belly, two tags and nb on lower left side. I saw her nb several times when she was in different locations.

It was nice that they all were in a fairly small group, but there was not interaction.

No comments: