Sunday, December 20, 2020

12/20/2020 Sunday Marilyn's Rabbit Island Observations

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from 11:30 am - 1:45 pm. It was generally sunny and breezy with lots of passing clouds.

Ultimately I located five HMS on RI today.  From the Lanikai Side to the Makapuu side of the island:

Way back next to the cliffs at Left Point Beach was:
Unknown Male Weaner 1 (UMW1): healthy weaner size, yellow male belly, no tags.  This is likely Molokai weaner L9 who was on LPB yesterday, but I never got a good view to be able to see applied bleaches.  The photo showing the flipper flex was taken at 1.5 times my normal magnification.

Near 3BS was:
Unknown Male Weaner 2 (UMW2): small weaner size, yellow male belly with lots of green and no tags. This seal appears to have two line scars on his midventral side.  I'm sure he is the male weaner I saw in the same general area yesterday.  I keep thinking this has to be PO1.

Between 3BS and SRI were two HMS who had just hauled out together when I started viewing:

Unknown Adult Male 1 (UAM1): adult size, older coat, mottled male belly.  I did not see tags and I should have been able to see them.  He kept close tabs on the UAF. Most of the males have molted by now, so I'm curious who this is.

Unknown Adult Female (UAF): adult size, newer coat with lighter female belly and two tags. She may have a scar on her right chin.

Over at the end of Rocky Right Beach (RRB) was Unknown Adult Male 2 (UAM2).  I'm reasonably sure his is the UU I reported at the same location yesterday.  Adult size, new coat, gray male belly.  I never got the see the rear flippers so I don't know if there are tags.  I wonder is this is fully molted RK72, Kekoa Alii.

No comments: