Friday, January 3, 2014

Jan 3, 2014 DB's Dailies: Kea@ETB , Kaiwi@RI, Rocky@DH, Makaiwi,Kermit,M&M,Buster&Haupu@WP, Ewa Girl@WSK

On my 0702 check of Eternity Beach I found Kea (RN46) just hauling out. I cordoned him off, and he remained until being run off by a lose dog a 1718. Thank you Gayle !!!
 
When I arrived at Makai Pier for my 0756 Rabbit Island check I found a juvenile female high on the beach, 40 ft right of 3BS. I suspected Kaiwi (RK96) and notified Tracy at 0829. At 1000 I had confirmed the Kaiwi ID, and also confirmed fishing line and a clear plastic bobber at her neck. NOAA personnel, Michelle, Chad, Mark, Angie & Jesse responded. They successfully captured her and disentangled her from 20 ft of line. Unfortunately, they were unable to remove the Ulua hook from the right side of her mouth. Another mission will be required.
 
At 1100 fisherman posse member Keith called with the report of an animal at Irma’s Grotto, Kokee Flats, Portlock. I called posse member Linda and she confirmed the Rocky (RH58) ID, and provided a confirming photo.
 
At 0652 Team Billand checked in with the report of Makaiwi (R4DF) fronting #1708, White Plains. On their 1130 check Makaiwi was gone, however she returned to the same location at 1512. On their 1700 check she was gone again.
 
At 0943 they Billands reported a 100% new & improved Kermit (R012) at #1707.
 
At 0956 the Billands advised that M&M (R020) hauled out to join Makaiwi at #1708.
 
At 1030 Team Billand reported the arrival of Buster (RV08) to Kermit’s locatiion.
 
A 1050 call from Team Billand reported the arrival of Haupu (RB24) to the Ewa Beach side of the east end WP perimeter fence. She was gone on their 1500 check.
 
At 1400 Team Billand found Ewa Girl (RS00) at Wind Sock.
 
I only had two animals and I’m totally stressed. Team Billand deals with that cast of characters everyday. I’m in total awe of them !!

 GO TEAM!
 THANK YOU.... whew we dodged one!  
 meanwhile little brother Kea snoring away at eternity beach

 Rocky at Kokee Flats
Ewa Girl at Windsock
 Haupu at White Plains 
 Buster and Kermit having a breath off
Buster
 Kermit
 MM
 Maka'iwi... awwwwwwwww love her

3 comments:

madhatter said...

Got to love Buster and Kermit, I guess they have to get in each other's face as a greeting. I haven't seen Maka'iwi doing a pose like that lately, she is so sweet.

madhatter said...

Was Kaiwi the one that was spotted a few days earlier with the fishing line wrapped around her?

Donna said...

Aloha MH
Yes it was Kaiwi.... DB thought it was her but couldn't say for sure... We're all relieved they got to her in time...

Amazing stuff... and thank you for all your support.