Sunday, April 3, 2011

4-3-11 DB Dailies

My first pass through the SE Quadrant was a bust. At 0750 Marilyn and I found what would prove to be BG (R303) doing 8 minute dives at Spitting Cave. I would not get the ID until I checked my photo database at 1500. Her last sighting had been at Ka'ena Point of 2-1-11, from a Flickr photo. She may well be doing one of her Molokai trips. Her ID is based on a right neck/head scar and a left mid body scar. She would depart SC at 0901. 

While I was at Spitting Cave I got a call from a fisherman posse
member reporting an animal at "Irma's Grotto" on the Kokee Flats. When I arrived at 0830 I found Irma (R010) waiting for me. 

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1000 I found Duke (RA12) at 3BS, and Kolohe (RW22) at Seal Rock Inlet, on Rabbit Island. They would remain all day.  

At 1020 posse member Stacey Stella called to advise that one of her no doubt millions of "Facebook Friends" had posted a Monk Seal sighting ,
15 minutes ago, at a sandy spot near the Blowhole end of Sandy Beach. Stacey and I leap frogged each other and covered every inch of the territory from the Blowhole Lookout to AD's. We found nobody. With the (at the time) U/U having departed  SC earlier, it was a distinct possibility that it was a good call. 

Team Billand called at 0738 to report Kermit (R4DG) hauling out at Campbell Industrial Park. They also say another U/U off shore that never hauled out. That was the last word from Team Billand. They are now carrying all their money to deliver to Sam Boyd's in Vegas, next week.

BG @ Spitting Cave 
 Kermit @ Campbells

No comments: