Friday, April 22, 2011

4-21-11 DB Dailies


Kolohe (RW22) was there waiting for me when I got to Makai Pier for my first Rabbit Island look. He was tucked in the the base of Middle Cliff at the right end. When I got back to the pier at 0950 he had moved down amongst the water front rocks and was partially visible. 

Also at 0958 I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) , partially visible behind the water front rocks, 60 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet on RI. At 1153 Kolohe would galumph over to join Duke. There was no interaction and both snoozed away the day.

On my 0707, Spitting Cave check I found what would ultimately prove to be Buster (RV08) doing 7 to 9 minute dives. It would take until I got home to check my photo database to confirmed the Buster ID. At the time I could see only a nearly pristine animal with a new coat and 2 red tags. I could never see a belly. The only marker was a tiny natural bleach mark, just above the left foreflipper, which I did not immediatley recognize. When I checked the photos, sure enough there was the little bleach on Buster. I'd never paid any attention to it over the years. Unfortunately, it won't help much for RI observations , but it's a marker now burned into my little brain from now on.  
Team Billand checked in at 0938 with the report of Noa (R6FI) at Maili Point.  At 1038 the found Kermit (R4DG), 300 yds east of Wind Sock, which is nearly to Kalaeloa Campgrounds.  Responding to a Dera call, they found Max (R5EW), 300 yds (or closer to a mile) west of the last bunker, west of the Nimitz jetty. It's a far hump on soft, steeply angled sand. No fun at all.

I called Colleen's house at 0833 to see if there was Irma news, and hubby Judd advised that Irma had overnighted at Diamond Head.

Dana checked in at 1111 to advise of RI37 at Shark's Cove.

Kolohe, Duke and lots of birds
Benny @ Ka'ena - on his way to or from somewhere?
Irma @ Diamond Head
Buster @ Spitting Cave

No comments: