Saturday, April 30, 2011

4-29-11 DB Dailies

I was in full bore Irma/KC Quest mode as I walked out the door this morning. Despite looking in every nook
and cranny from Rabbit Island to Portlock, I was batting zero until 0859.

Alan Hong, of Hanauma Bay fame, called at 0851 to advise that he was at the roadside pull off just HB side of the Japanese Memorial at Bamboo Ridge, and that he was looking down at a Monk Seal in the water below him. When I arrived at 0859 I immediately recognized KC (RK28) but her big, beautiful CC scars on her shoulders. I saw only a single up at the location, so after a 20 minute wait I relocated to the Blowhole Lookoout at 0925. Just as though I had the vaguest clue, sure enough at 0935 I spied KC, at 0935, approximately 50 yrds off shore, mid way between Bamboo Ridge and the entrance to Eternity Beach. I observed multiple 6 minute dives with 1 minute ups. She seemed to be ever so slowing moving east as she foraged. I remained until 1030, but did a  recheck at 1200, as well as checking all the coastline between Makai Pier and Blowhole, but did not see KC again. Irma was a no show also.

From Makai Pier at 1037 I found Buster snoozin' on the water front rocks, 60 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island. He would be the only RI resident today.

Team Billand checked in at 1050 with the report of Makaiwi (R4DF) fronting #1701 at Nimitz Cottages.

KC @ Bamboo Ridge 
 Maka'iwi @ Nimitz 

No comments: