Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Happy 3rd Birthday Kerby 4/20/11

It was three years ago when I laid eyes on my first new born Hawaiian monk seal pup, through DB's scope on Makai pier. I was so excited to see such a sight, and was thrilled to have the seal whisperer as my teacher. When you think about it, it wasn't that long ago, but when I think about all that has happened since it seems like eons.

I was able to go through the blog archives and pull up the first photo taken of Kerby when he was 3 days old with mom Ewa Girl. Little did I know then what a great mother she is....  and the blog would have posts of Kerby's younger brothers for the next couple of years.

I am including the latest photo of Kerby at Ka'ena Point taken by Mrs. Whisperer on one of her treks out earlier this month. Who knows what motivated Kerby to head out to the point all the way from Rabbit Island... but I have to believe his little brother Sam was on his way out there, and unfortunately never made it.

da blog lady
Kerby pup 4/23/2008 Rabbit Island
Kerby Ka'ena Point 4/2/2011

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Oh I remember that day Kerby was born,we were at Kaena Pt searching for seals. DB informed us a pup was on shore with Ewa Girl, so we took off from Kaena Pt, got cleaned up to go view that long awaited pups birth. Oh what a sweet thing, so tiny. And on an observation again, Kerby was stuck on a rock with his umbilical cord between rocks. Db called NOAA and they came to cut the cord, freed the little guy and all was well.
One day there were four pups born that year Kerby first, KP2, Kolohe and HOKU. Kerby went missing for three months, we found him out at Kaena Pt on Oct 18th, 2008 on a SEAL COUNT. QUITE EXCITING day for us old guys.
Hoku was discovered dead at Waimanalo after Rob and I over heard fishermen talking about a dead seal. We told DB, we got in our separate vehicles to inspect area. The story was true, and the dead seal was our beloved HOKU, found on shore, partially burried. On that day, I wanted to quit Monk Seal Work...Hoku meant alot to us. But then the other pup KP2 needed Volunteers to observe him for 3 months, we were there to see the new kid at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base. KP2 was handsome and swimming about his little sea pen. KP2 gave me HOPE. And then.....KOLOHE the other pup went missing himself. And the day he was spotted on R.I. we were there with DB. I told DB, this is big news, KOLOHE is alive...who shall we tell or call??? DB said, they'll read about it in the DAILIES!! I went to the bathroom at Makai pier, called DB...I HAD TO TELL SOMEONE KERBY WAS ALIVE. DB answered the phone..I said, "DB, KERBY IS ALIVE!!" He pounded the wall, was laughing.So yes, much has happened since Kerby's birth, it's amazing. Happy Birthday Kerby, miss seeing you at KP.